Frames

TrialsAndy2k9

Right My mum is treating me to a brand new frame in 6 week holidays and im not sure what frame to get

ive been looking around sort of the Gu side maybe TP or ST then again i like some of the other frames not sure

please help :) a Mod Frame

Price Around £270

Edited by TrialsAndy2k9

Right My mum is treating me to a brand new frame in 6 week holidays and im not sure what frame to get

ive been looking around sort of the Gu side maybe TP or ST then again i like some of the other frames not sure

please help :)

Well firstly, are you sure yet if you want to get a stock or mod frame?

Edited by Horndean Trials

Well firstly, are you sure yet if you want to get a stock or mod frame?

Can you explain me the diference? All frames that you can buy are stock for me... :$

Edited by 315r

Stock = 26" wheel

Mod = 20/19" wheel.

I'm a little surprised this naming hasn't spread into Europe :huh:

Is it???? :blink: :blink: :blink:

No, In Spain never listen this naming, at least, in this way..

For me, this naming correspond to:

Mod: Modification, something that is not original, for example, koxx frame with echo fork and trialtech handlebar.

Stock: Bike completly original or for example, koxx frame with all components Try-all...

In Spain i listen this naming for example in cars: Modified cars " for competitions for example" and Stock cars " normal street cars"

Thank you for the information.. (Y)

Edited by 315r

20″ — 'Mod Bikes'

The first purpose made and commercially available trials bikes were manufactured by Montesa a mototrials company and were based on the modified bmx bikes that riders had been using. As a result of being based on BMX bikes, the rear dropout spacing is 116mm. These 20″ wheeled trials bikes have become known colloquially as Mod bikes.

20" bikes started off as BMX's which were then modified, hence Mod.

26″ — 'Stock Bikes'

Early mountain bikes were well suited to the trials riding being done and so a separate class was introduced for them. 26″ used to refer to mountain bike kept in original condition. 26″ classed bikes were required to have at least six working gear ratios and a seat. Now, however, this designation is often used to describe any trials bike with 26″ wheels. Stock bikes have a dropout spacing of 135mm.

26" was known as stock as it is the standard mountain bike wheel size.

Bearing in mind trials was started in Spain, I would have thought this was common knowledge.