Riding Tips That Changed Your Life ...

blutac

Hi

I've been riding bikes for over 35 years and for years have used clipped (spd) type pedals where the cleat on the shoe is under the ball of your foot. I met up with Bronz (of this forum) last night and he pointed out that trials riding should be done using the flat of your feet not the balls. It was a revelation to me !! I've only had the bike a week but i felt i learned more in the 30 minutes last night than i have in the last week of watching videos on trashzen. It helped my balance and kept my feet on the pedals while trying to move the bike around. i just need to learn to use the brakes now :)

Many thanks Bronz !!!

What was the tip that helped you the most ?

Cheers Dave

this is a silly one but i dont think i would of done it unless someone said it would help... they said to move both brake levers around until i find the comftable and after doing that i was shocked about how much eaier everything seemed to be

It didn't really change my life but was good anyway. I used to ride with my flat bars tilted far to far back and then someone pointed it out and i moved them forward and it was so so much nicer and getting up obstacles (although only little) was a lot easier.

Well, riding alone, I don't have much inspiration aside from watching videos and picking up tips here.

Being relatively green, what has come to light was becoming more fluid by throwing my hips into moves and setting my weight back over the rear hub more depending on what I wanted to accomplish or set up for. Seems to make a bit more work on the hips and knees, but opens up a lot more in the way of doing less work against myself so moves are more seamless.

I think more about where my body will be above the object instead of where the bike will be, when I started doing that I got every move better.

I guess that bit helps with technique.

I think when I learn to actually tuck on a side hop i shall be able to get bigger.

I can already side hop 10/11 brick ;)

Hi

Thanks for all the input, i really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I've had a mess about using the flat and the balls of my feet and at the moment the flats are winning, i seem to be able to shift my weight around more which is helping move the bike around. Perhaps when I'm more used to the techniques I'll try the balls again.

Cheers Dave

I've had a mess about using the flat and the balls..... and at the moment the flats are winning, i seem to be able to shift my weight around more which is helping move the bike around. Perhaps when I'm more used to the techniques I'll try the balls again.

Ouch! It brings a tear to the eye. :S

(Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Welcome to TF! ;) )