How To Remove A Sprocket

Billiboi

I have a 2.5 ft chain whip for this and it can still be a struggle.

It took me and a mate about half an hour to remove a bloody ENO from a crank the other day.

He is about 6ft and big and I do up/undo 2" andd bigger bolts on a regular basis (Thats 2" diameter to the numpties out there)

It is amazing how tight these things get, I also had to take a viz freewheel off today and I had to literally jump on the spanner to undo it.

Matt

What about putting to bits of wood in the vice then the sprocket between them so it digs in. Then put something on the end of the crank and turn?

Edit: might be easier as it will hold the crank still? Well it will give it a fixed pivot point rather then being able to move like the chain in vice method?

Edited by gussie

What about putting to bits of wood in the vice then the sprocket between them so it digs in. Then put something on the end of the crank and turn?

Edit: might be easier as it will hold the crank still? Well it will give it a fixed pivot point rather then being able to move like the chain in vice method?

The teeth with rip though the wood like a knife through butter. I've seen a sprocket rip though mild steel pegs like it was nothing too.

The best way to do it would be the chain in a vice job but stick a nail or something through the end so the chain can't pull out of the vice and remember leverage is the key.