Oil On The Disk Brake...

TrialZonn

Hello to everyone.

Yesterday, while I was bleeding my rear Magura brake, accidentaly some of the oil (magura royal blood) leaked from the lever to my front disk brake.

One whole day has passed but my disk brake continues to slip and it makes a loud noise like the rear.I tried to clean it, especially the rotor and the pads but nothing worked.

Any ideas?What can I do for it?

Many thanks

the blow torch method can some times help a little, if it's a small amount of oil, but more often than not it doesn't work.

the pad material is very porus, and any oil on the surface will quickly soak through the pad, leaving it totally useless.

I'd take the rotor off, and give it a REALLY good clean with a strong detergent and lots of hot water, then buy yourself new pads.

As for the rotor mate, that can be cleaned easily.

With the pads, being a dick I got WD40 all over mine before,

I took my bike to a shop and what he did is basically rode the bike around

for a couple of minutes with the front brake litterally fully pulled in.

Was the loudest few minutes of my life i swear :lol:

But anyway, after he stopped he quickly got soem cold water and poured it all over the pads.

Lots of steam started coming from the pads and basically that burnt all the WD40 off them.

Works a treat now, even better than before (Y)

:( I tried everything you told me, but unfortunately nothing worked...maybe the oil leaked on the pads was too much...

So..I think I need new pads...

Do you know if I can find pads for the Onza Dual-Pull mechanical disk brake?(It is the one attached to the newer models).(I made a topic at the wanted section too but until now no replies)

And if I can't...for how much can I buy a second-hand Avid BB7?I have heard that it's a good brake if compared with the right lever.

Many thanks

Edited by TrialZonn

What Teezr said ^^

Do that for the pads, but I wouldn't stick the rotors on the cooker - just use (very) soapy water - preferably with some kind of industrial-strength degreaser. If not, fairly liquid is actually pretty good. And then rinse with clean water very thoroughly.

What Teezr said ^^

Do that for the pads, but I wouldn't stick the rotors on the cooker - just use (very) soapy water - preferably with some kind of industrial-strength degreaser. If not, fairly liquid is actually pretty good. And then rinse with clean water very thoroughly.

I put my pads on the oven and waited until smoke comes off them and then repeated and repeated again...

Also cleaned the rotor with degreaser and soapy water.

When I fully biult the brake up and had a ride on the bike, I noticed that the loud noise stopped (I think this is good) but it seems that I have not the braking power that I had before this ''accident''.The brake feels a little spongy and it will not stop me if I go gapping to front...

However it helped a little.Now it may be just that I haven't setup the brake correctly or so...I noticed that one of the two pads is worn in an angle.(but I had much more power with the worn pad before so it's not this that causes the brake to continue slipping...) (N)