Pro2 Hub Shell And Profile Internals?

RossMcd

I was thinking after I saw you could buy Pro2 Hubshells on tarty now, Would the internals of a profile hub (axle, driver and bearings) work in it?

Its a thought.. I doubt it will work but that would mean people could then run 32hole rims and the option of a rear disc.

Discuss..?

Edited by RossMcd

Profile prawls fit in pro2s. Not sure on axles though.

If the axle would fit that would mean people can run pro2 hubs on mods without modifying really! if the driver and the axle fits that would be useful for people to know! It opens alot of options for people who love their profiles while struggling to get a hold of good rims and who what to run a rear disc.

Ha me 2, i bought the pro2 to get it cut down then got it and realised its too much hassle lol so buying a profile instead :P

What would one have to do to shorten a pro2?

Would it just be shorten the axle and the little bit where the sprocket sits on?

What would be easer is if hope, profile or king made a 116 hub with disc mounts then you wouldnt need to waste perfectly good hubs.

Profile and King already do make 116mm hubs ..(Y)

Now we're just waiting for Hope to get their ass into gear.

all you would need is a lathe and a die VERY easy to do

I've looked into it last time I had my hub apart, it's not that simple.

There are 3 sealed bearings in the drive shell, two of them are touching each other in the recess on the inside taking the stress of the rachet mechanism.

I reckon you'd need to only have one bearing in there, then a small shoulder seperating it from the outer bearing in order to but it down the 25mm it need lopping off without having to render the disc mount useless.

I'm pretty certain that, if I remember right, you'd need to make a new drive shell if you want to use the disc mount.

EDIT: What would the die be for? You'd need a tapp if you could get one the right pitch and diameter, but it be far easier just to use the auto advance on the lathe.

Edited by Muel

Did you know v!z makes 36 hole mod rims? You can get them in any colour too. They are very tough much stronger than the echo rim I had. I just run a profile hub with a viz rim. What I would have really liked to see more was the echo freehub improved. Everything on that hub worked perfect except the engagement and its lighter and dramatically cheaper than a profile or king. Maybe it could be fixed by adding more pawls or something.

Did you know v!z makes 36 hole mod rims? You can get them in any colour too. They are very tough much stronger than the echo rim I had. I just run a profile hub with a viz rim. What I would have really liked to see more was the echo freehub improved. Everything on that hub worked perfect except the engagement and its lighter and dramatically cheaper than a profile or king. Maybe it could be fixed by adding more pawls or something.

Inside the echo freehub Is pretty much the same as the profile as there are the same amount of engagements and the internals look very similar. The reason why they were breaking was that the Ratchet was glued in making it break easier under higher loads.

As people love Pro2 hubs I thought about the idea if having the profile internals to make them compatible with mod bikes. As It is harder to get profile hubs in 32H (standard in trials nowadays) and also harder to get one that will take a disc too it will probably be easier, if you have an old profile, or the shell in your profile has cracked or whatever just to get a Pro2 hub shell off tarty and put in the Profile internals.

I had an Echo freehub, but I replaced it with the Profile I have now.

to be honest, nothing in the hub worked perfect at all.

It skipped on me ALL the time after only having it for 2 months, and the sound was pretty horrible.

Edited by Horndean Trials