Threadless Bottom Brackets?

calumt

hi there, I just realised i have stripped the threads in my the bb shell of my frame, just wondering if anyone knows where i could purchase one as i looked on tartybikes but they don't seem to stock them. Many thanks Calum.

You screw them into the stripped threads, and what is left of the BB shell basically cuts a thread into the threadless BB.

Not ideal for trials, from what I hear you can't get them very tight. You'd be better off spending the £20 on getting the frame reamed and sleeved, then sticking the old BB back in.

Your not trying hard enough :P

I am using a truvativ Howitzer bb on my mountain bike and last time I did it up I used the shimano hollotech tool and a 3' long extension bar with out problem, begs the question what are people using when they strip the threads?

How do they stay in?

My mate had one and The non drive side cup screwed onto the body of the bottom bracket. We had to remove a spacer for it to stay tight though.. However It did work and still is to this day as far as I know. And that was ages ago I helped fit that!

My mate had one and The non drive side cup screwed onto the body of the bottom bracket. We had to remove a spacer for it to stay tight though.. However It did work and still is to this day as far as I know. And that was ages ago I helped fit that!

ross is correct... also if it is only the first few threads then your local bike shop will have a tap so they can re-cut the first few threads... (it is a tool that is used for cleaning bb shells but it will also recut as it is made from hardened steel)...