Help With "bonking Front Wheel Up Low Object

Katkin

Here is a crappy video of me attempting to "bonk" the front wheel on a low object.

As you can see I am failing miserably and just end up clearing it to the back wheel.

Any ideas where I am going wrong, apart from the obvious that I am not hitting the front wheel.

Do you think I am:

A: going too slow

B: going too fast

C: Pedaling to early

D: Not getting forward enough

E: Just being a minge

F: Something elsecompletely

By the way I am crapping myself throughout this video cos my front brake has not turned up yet, which is really putting me off, I didn't realize how much I used a front brake until I didn't have one :lol:

Shite bag

th_nosebonk.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Edit: For f**ks sake log off when you finish Kath! Oh well too late now.

Edited by Katkin

Thanks for quick reply Dale.

I am aware of this though, I am trying learn to "bonk" the wheel on low objects, it all arises from another thread.......

It really is driving me nuts!

Matt

Yeah, but it makes it even harder, your best of just going to rear (like you do) on lower objects :)

If you're wanting to tap it just keep your wheel lower. Do a back wheel but a little later so that as you're bringing the font up your connect. That's how I do em and they seem to work for me :)

Edited by Bronz

I'd say shorter run up Matt, You only every relaly need to tap stuff that low when you're trying to keep it on the back or only have 1 pedal rotation of space to do it in.

Very useful when you start riding more natural. I now only tap with a 1 pedal run up when I'm practising, once you get them sorted it's actually easier than using a big run up.

When I watched the video, you didn't seem to touch the front wheel on the object.

Well, I think if you bonk the wheel up a low object, you need to connect the wheel with the object more on the top surface. In a tap, you ram it into the vertical wall, whereas for something lower I think it will work if the wheel is right on the corner.

I dunno, just a suggestion!

id say start off with a short run up of one whole pedal, this is plenty for a small tap. by doing this you will soon get your pedals right, then move onto bigger taps and you will find it easier to get the pedals right on longer run ups.

How does one go about learning to tap higher stuff? Like, above wheel height?

You shouldn't have to tap anything that low. About 36" is a fair height to start doing taps, any lower and it becomes technically harder to do than pedal hopping up the object. Buthe way i tap, which no doubt is wrong as i'm not amazing at it, is i'll set up about a full pedal stroke away, with my good foot forward. Set up, balanced and comfortable, looking where i want to hit the wall. Pedal with a continuous pedal stroke and as your weaker foot comes forward past the 12 oclock position lift up on the bars, i tend to keep my weight forwards, and jump up as the front wheel hits the wall and throw the bike up and forwards.

Probably no good for anyone else at all, but hey!

You shouldn't have to tap anything that low. About 36" is a fair height to start doing taps, any lower and it becomes technically harder to do than pedal hopping up the object. Buthe way i tap, which no doubt is wrong as i'm not amazing at it, is i'll set up about a full pedal stroke away, with my good foot forward. Set up, balanced and comfortable, looking where i want to hit the wall. Pedal with a continuous pedal stroke and as your weaker foot comes forward past the 12 oclock position lift up on the bars, i tend to keep my weight forwards, and jump up as the front wheel hits the wall and throw the bike up and forwards.

Probably no good for anyone else at all, but hey!

Which is in fact exactly on topic!

To do higher taps I just ram into the wall about just above bar height, seems to work, I think if it didn't I would f**k my wheel and forks though, so I'm lucky (not judgment) it works.

Watching Dave Kerr tap up really high stuff he really gets alot of speed up, so just did that and somehow pulled it off, obviously not as high as Dave which really is something worth watching.

Matt