Double Disc Or Double Maggie?

LordMersey

Double Disc or Double Maggie?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Double Disc or Double Maggie?

• Double Disc
    • Double Maggi

I'm giving serious thought to going for a dual disk stock frame next time I go bike building. I used to run dual Maguras for years, but disks (Especially 203 rotors) seem to have caught up on the bite and hold stakes while being better on modulation...

A rear disk that locks like a mo-fo while giving enough modulation to allow manuals and not being deafening when dragged is all I need - not sure I can top the Louise on the front, but maybe not grabby enough for the back, so possibly a Hope...

I've seen a few comments about 26" rear wheels being too flexy under torque from the hub to give the same feeling of brake hold that a rim brake gives, but combined with a squidgy tyre I'm not sure I could even pick this up and it doesn't seem to matter at the front (And fork flex is huge there)...

The complete lack of routine maintenance or adjustment for pad wear is also a big plus with hydraulic disks...

Depends on what type of disc brake and magura.

Like halfords disc brakes what come on appolo bikes or magura with real coust pads

or hope mono trial brakes or magura with magura blacks

make the poll more detailed

Well, he obviously wasnt trying to trick people into wondering... hmm does he mean, would i prefer halfords disc brakes, or Maguras with epic pads was he?

It's either Hydraulic rim or Hydraulic Disc. Simple as that. Just imagine the best Magura youve ever used, or the best disc youve ever used, and which would you prefer. Or think of the worse disc youve ever used, and the worse magura youve ever used and compare.

A poll this simple, shouldnt need to be explained >_<

I voted Double Disc by the way!

I tried Dd with on a load of different Frames, Brakes and rotor sizes, None if which i got on with. I tried BB7's (New and older styler, 160, 185 and 205mm rotors) BB5's with dual 185s and then with a rear 203, Mono trials with a Rear 205 and a front 185, Hope C2's/Avid Juicies/ Various Hayes breaks. None of them gave me what i'd class as a great brake, The Mono trials were ok but didnt bite too well, BB7's were the opposite, shit loads of bite but no hold :( No Rear disc i've had ever compared to my Magura (Standard eisbar magura, Braided crossover, 74 Kingz tpa wheel With CNC Echo pads/Heatsink reds) Although i've never tried front and rear maguras so can't comment on what thats like, i think a front disc, rear magura is the best combo although if i had to choose between souble disc, and double magura I'd Pick Double maggie.

Why don't you just pick something you like more. The fact that X people like rim brakes won't make you make the right decision.

My input:

26" wheels - rim brakes or front disc ONLY

20" wheels - rim or disc brake

I used to ride DD, don't like them any more. Rim brakes are more positive, have more bite and in the case of 26" bikes - more power too. The only way you'll get more power out of a disc brake is when you use 180mm rotors on a mod.

I tried Dd with on a load of different Frames, Brakes and rotor sizes, None if which i got on with. I tried BB7's (New and older styler, 160, 185 and 205mm rotors) BB5's with dual 185s and then with a rear 203, Mono trials with a Rear 205 and a front 185, Hope C2's/Avid Juicies/ Various Hayes breaks. None of them gave me what i'd class as a great brake, The Mono trials were ok but didnt bite too well, BB7's were the opposite, shit loads of bite but no hold :( No Rear disc i've had ever compared to my Magura (Standard eisbar magura, Braided crossover, 74 Kingz tpa wheel With CNC Echo pads/Heatsink reds) Although i've never tried front and rear maguras so can't comment on what thats like, i think a front disc, rear magura is the best combo although if i had to choose between souble disc, and double magura I'd Pick Double maggie.

Juicy 7s.

They will hold a hippo!

They have too, they hold ME!

If its a mod, then dual disk works REALLY well, if you tend to fall off/bash your bike then Maguras are harder to hit.

If its a stock, I am going to go against the grain and say dual vee.

ha ha ha, i read this earlier and wondered when you would come on and vote for v's!

how's the ride going?