This Is Why Half Link Chains Should Not Be Used For Trials

Jason222

pbpic4010054.jpg

This happened to me today. I went for an up to front and the chain snapped. I blacked out for a few minutes, and woke up with my face covered in blood and numb. This is the second half link chain I've broken in 3 months.

The bruising and swelling is a lot worse now than when I took this pic...I also hurt my thumb and arm. The arm looks similar to the face...

Edited by Jason222

I was under the impression that half link chains stretched, but were just as strong as the next chain. Why are they prone to snapping?

For a half link chain to work it has to have bends in the side plates to give each link a narrow end and a wide end for the narrow end of the next link to fit in. This means that the side plates of the chain see bending stress as well as tensile stress when the chain is loaded as chain tension tries to straighten the bends in the side plates (That bending is the reason half link chains stretch more under load too). More stress means much quicker fatigue failure at the bends in the side plates.

Having a wide and a narrow end on each link also means that the pins holding the links together are not carrying the tension in the chain on the same line of action. This causes a sideways stress on the side plates where the chain pins are press fitted into them, leading to an increased likelihood of small movements between the chain pin and side plates, which brings on quicker failure when the side plates pop off the chain pins than seen in standard chains.

If you're thinking that you might be safe because you might have a different one, that's not true. They're all virtually the same, if not in some cases exactly the same, and they all snap.

Exactly, they're just not mechanically sound. It's like having a freewheel with one pawl engaging at a time, it's just not going to work.

I was under the impression that half link chains stretched, but were just as strong as the next chain. Why are they prone to snapping?

Definitely not as strong as the next chain. Very weak actually. I ran a KMC 810 chain for 14 months and it didn't break, I replaced it because it was skipping.

Did the plates snap or did they pop off from the pins?

Plates snapped.

shadow conspiricy chains wont do that

This chain was a shadow conspiracy chain. They're practically all the same.

This has made me think twice about chains... :blink:

readin on "psycholist" s theory on half links, makes sense.

I was thinkin of gettin a half link chain soon too, dont think I ll be doin that now!

Highest tensile strength for me ;)

Thanks for the info. Hope you get better soon :lol: