Front Disk Or Hs33?

scottcj9

As the title says i was wondering how a disk compares to a hs33 on the front wheel?

I have ridden with rear disk and hs33 and found the hs33 a lot better so i was just interested to know how its like on the front in performance and braking power etc.

Thanks Scott

It depends what your after in a front brake ultimately. Both setups can get the desired result; the disc has the advantage that when setup correctly can offer plenty of bite and 'on/off' power, but still have plenty of modulation right out of the box. The HS33 can take some experimentation with pads, boosters, rim surfaces etc to get what you want.

For a front HS33 I used black pads on a smooth rim, this is mostly because I like to do a lot of front wheel moves that require a good modulating brake, yet I still get good lock/hold for moves like ups and gaps to front wheel. I have run Phat Pads and Plaz pads on the front too and just found them a touch OTT for my personal preference, however I know that some people would love them setups.

Right now I have a Vee brake with standard pads on and it's great, however I am borrowing some Shimano XTR arms off of a mate and they have a parralel push system that makes it very very spongy. When I have fixed my HS33 I will probably go back to using that as it was spot on rather then playing around with Vee setups.

It depends what your after in a front brake ultimately. Both setups can get the desired result; the disc has the advantage that when setup correctly can offer plenty of bite and 'on/off' power, but still have plenty of modulation right out of the box. The HS33 can take some experimentation with pads, boosters, rim surfaces etc to get what you want.

For a front HS33 I used black pads on a smooth rim, this is mostly because I like to do a lot of front wheel moves that require a good modulating brake, yet I still get good lock/hold for moves like ups and gaps to front wheel. I have run Phat Pads and Plaz pads on the front too and just found them a touch OTT for my personal preference, however I know that some people would love them setups.

Right now I have a Vee brake with standard pads on and it's great, however I am borrowing some Shimano XTR arms off of a mate and they have a parralel push system that makes it very very spongy. When I have fixed my HS33 I will probably go back to using that as it was spot on rather then playing around with Vee setups.

I also do a lot of up to front moves and front wheel gaps etc. but i dont find the disk holds well enough, and iv now snapped two rotors in the past 2 months from slipping and coming down on it, which is becoming expensive.

i have noticed a lot of people are now using front Vee brakes, but i cant see how they are as powerful as a hs33??

Thanks Scott

I also do a lot of up to front moves and front wheel gaps etc. but i dont find the disk holds well enough, and iv now snapped two rotors in the past 2 months from slipping and coming down on it, which is becoming expensive.

i have noticed a lot of people are now using front Vee brakes, but i cant see how they are as powerful as a hs33??

Thanks Scott

Well set up vees can be amazing, the Avid SD7s work very well with the right pads. And then their the ultimate, but that's almost the same price as a pair of HS33s

Well if your hs33 is in good working order it's more locking than disk. So I'd say hs33 front is better for natural/comp style of riding, disc is more for street/tgs riding.

P.S. This post writter's opinion may be different from yours!

Mate, i would say to got it round the wrong way there. I would say for natural/comps, you need a disk because a disk is not just on or off, its can be used as flowey. For example you may be riding down a steep roll off, by doing that, you dont want a brake which is going to hold and throw you over the bars! However you do need a disk brake which will hold! But you can get a good flowey maggy if you grind your rims, here its nither on or off!!

However for TGS riding its obvious that you need a good strong brake because in TGS lines you rely on your brakes more! an example, damon watson or craig lee scott, both use maguras.

Overall i would say maguras are better for all round riding!

Im kinda heading towards a front rim brake is better, just not sure which, i had a look at vee brakes and a lot of the time they are as expensive as a hs33.

At the moment im running disk, unfortunately my forks only have disk mount, so i cant try a front rim brake. However, i need a new pair of forks so im wondering about changing my brakes to something better too, hence why i asked this question.

Are there any good strong forks on the market that have both disk and magura/vee mounts?

Thanks Scott