Mod Tyres

hdmackay

Hey all,

I'm needing new tyres again and I usually just go for double Creepy Crawlers, but this time I would like to try out something new.

So, just out of the tyres on Tarty, but excluding the Echo's. I know I'm definately not gonna get them. So out of the Creepy's, Monty's, and Try-All's could you please give me your opinions.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the creepy's are the longest lasting?

The Monty's are the bounciest and grippiest?

And the Try-All's are most puncture resistant?

I'm not too sure if the above is true so would like your views on Puncture resistance, bounce and grip. Don't consider weight as I don't care about it atall.

I've also heard alot of people saying front Try-All, Rear Monty is the best set-up. I'm aware it's the lightest which I don't care about but people say that it's the best set-up and not just because it's light. Again, your views please.

Finally, if I were to go rear Monty Eagle Claw. How much more tyre clearance do you need over a Creepy that's 2.5? Because they are 2.6 and i'm not sure if it will fit. It's an Onza ice frame is that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Hunter

I've got an Eagle Claw on the rear of my mod. Pure win. Would prefer a Try-All up front, but I've got a Creepy Crawler on at the mo, but yeah, a Monty rear/Try-All front combo is basically the best setup you can get.

So other than weight, you'd still say this is best?

And how much more tyre clearance do you need with your Monty?

i just wrote a massive review and then my internet disconected :P

basically try-alls are sick, never puntured my rear one (punctured front one once but that was because i was looking at some girls down the road and then i rode into the kirb :P)

ive also had them for over a year now and there is loads of tread still on them :)

So other than weight, you'd still say this is best?

And how much more tyre clearance do you need with your Monty?

If you want to save weight (If that's what you meant?) and increase grip, you can cut the marked knobbles off. Did it to mine, shit is pure win. Super grippy now, and sheds mud really nicely too.

post-50-1255362454_thumb.jpg

With the Try-All front, Ali's cut his so that it was like this - it also appears to be all good.

post-50-1255362574_thumb.jpg

So yeah, do that if you want to save weight and make your tyres even grippier.

Regarding clearance, it's kinda weird but it's almost like the Montys have the extra width lower down the tyre, so they have a wider base for the tread to sit on (making it more stable and better bounce wise too), so the extra width isn't really noticeable at the top, where you're going to have less clearance - if that makes sense. So yeah, if you can fit a 2.5" alright then you can fit the Eagle Claw.

If you want to save weight (If that's what you meant?) and increase grip, you can cut the marked knobbles off. Did it to mine, shit is pure win. Super grippy now, and sheds mud really nicely too.

post-50-1255362454_thumb.jpg

With the Try-All front, Ali's cut his so that it was like this - it also appears to be all good.

post-50-1255362574_thumb.jpg

So yeah, do that if you want to save weight and make your tyres even grippier.

Regarding clearance, it's kinda weird but it's almost like the Montys have the extra width lower down the tyre, so they have a wider base for the tread to sit on (making it more stable and better bounce wise too), so the extra width isn't really noticeable at the top, where you're going to have less clearance - if that makes sense. So yeah, if you can fit a 2.5" alright then you can fit the Eagle Claw.

Thanks Ali that post was really helpful... But I actually was meaning I don't care about weight. Lol. Weight is the last of my worry's. :P

But with the whole cutting treads off... Does it really make it grippier? Seems kinda funny how cutting the grippy part of increases grip. :ermm:

Are there any disadvantages at-all to cutting off treads? Because I don't see many people doing it.

Edited by hdmackay

But with the whole cutting treads off... Does it really make it grippier? Seems kinda funny how cutting the grippy part of increases grip. :ermm:

Are there any disadvantages at-all to cutting off treads? Because I don't see many people doing it.

It means more space inbetween the blocks on the tyre, so as the tyre compresses against something, there's more contact with the rest of the tyre.

The disadvantage is how time-consuming it is.

It means more space inbetween the blocks on the tyre, so as the tyre compresses against something, there's more contact with the rest of the tyre.

The disadvantage is how time-consuming it is.

Oright. Are there any situations at-all where it is less grippy?

And is that the only dis-advantage? Because I'm definately gonna do it if it is. Will the rest of the treads on the tyre wear more quickly if I cut some off because all the pressure will be on them?

thanks for the reply's so far guys.

I've got an Eagle Claw on the rear of my mod. Pure win. Would prefer a Try-All up front, but I've got a Creepy Crawler on at the mo, but yeah, a Monty rear/Try-All front combo is basically the best setup you can get.

you have a mod ??

Your money is correct :P And this is OBM too - but yeah, I did both tyres in about 10 mins watching the TV. Fresh Stanley blade and a little bowl of soapy water. Dip the blade in each time and it flies through, it works so well. Minimal hassle.

I did my tyre on Adam's recommendation - fully wasn't into the idea of it, but trusted in Adam's infinite wisdom. It worked really well - it actually sounds grippier when you pedal hard. It makes a pretty much 'brrm brrm' sound when you do two half-pedals one after the other. It grips frighteningly well on mossy rocks, and owns street too. I'd definitely recommend doing it. Just when you're sitting there on TF, watching TV, wherever. Just get a new blade, soapy water, bam. Do it!

Your money is correct :P And this is OBM too - but yeah, I did both tyres in about 10 mins watching the TV. Fresh Stanley blade and a little bowl of soapy water. Dip the blade in each time and it flies through, it works so well. Minimal hassle.

I did my tyre on Adam's recommendation - fully wasn't into the idea of it, but trusted in Adam's infinite wisdom. It worked really well - it actually sounds grippier when you pedal hard. It makes a pretty much 'brrm brrm' sound when you do two half-pedals one after the other. It grips frighteningly well on mossy rocks, and owns street too. I'd definitely recommend doing it. Just when you're sitting there on TF, watching TV, wherever. Just get a new blade, soapy water, bam. Do it!

ahh, ok. Sound good. Thanks very much for your help. :)

Wow you guys really need to sort out who's posting on who's account, my eyes nearly launched out off my head when I read that Ali has an eagle claw on his mod.