Brake Clamp Help (ie) Welding ?

scotty007

hi all ummm was just gonna ask for some advice. Ive just finished stripping my bike back to the bare metal and going for some fresh new paint. One idea i had was to take my old maggie mounts off my front forks and weld them to the rear upper chain stay to make a double brake clamp set up, but not having the brake clamps just yet has had me stalled, so i was just wondering if this has been done before to a frame and if it weakened it anyway and if anyone had the measurements for the brake clamps (over all length measurment) and the measurment from (hole centre to hole center) i think the clamps are all the same from tartys so im winging this and my fingers and toes are crossed hope iv explained this to the fullest but im guessing i havent coverd every question that will be asked and thanks for the info in advance peace !

So you want to run a 2nd magura on the rear on the underside of the chainstays?

Realistically youre unlikely to be able to cut them off some forks and weld them back on without severly affecting the integrity of the frame.

A 2nd set of slaves is also (imho) pointless, a single maggie gives more than enough power :)

So you want to run a 2nd magura on the rear on the underside of the chainstays?

Realistically youre unlikely to be able to cut them off some forks and weld them back on without severly affecting the integrity of the frame.

A 2nd set of slaves is also (imho) pointless, a single maggie gives more than enough power :)

close but no cigar i have the mount on the rear already for the maggie but wanted to weld another mount on the same side but futher up the frame so i can then use a set of brake clamps this will replace the need for the plastic arm that keeps the maggie from moving. my idea can be seen on any top new frame from tartys on the rear brake set up .the best example iv seen is on the new echo control frame but this has an all in one boster with brake clamp set up maybe im beeing dumd and not explaining it very well oppppppps

You mean you have canti studs and you want to convert to 4 bolt instead of using evoII mounts?

It wont work Im afraid, the 4bolt mountings (trials standard) use 4 x M5 screws rather than a canti stud top and bottom. The only way you could fit a set of normal 4bolt clamps would be to cut the canti stud off and weld on a pair of specially made brake mounts, far too much effort and will likely wreck the frame.

If youre struggling to get a decent brake setup with the evoII mounts then use a vee brake, lighter and more powerfull ;)

Do you mean that just now you have 2 bolt mounts and you want to somehow make them into 4 bolt mounts?

EDIT:I was to slow :( ^^ Like he said vee brakes are the way ;) or a good booster

Yer was thinking of going to a four bolt system if poss Was going to cut the canti stud down and get this tacked/welded inside the mount (will fit i think) at work then re tapped to the correct thread then get new echo cnc brakes with clamps then get the mounts welded in place with the wheel in the chainstay to get the correct position for the brakes . Like i said just a thought as im looking into gettting a updated frame (zoo pirhana) so didnt mind giving it ago to see if it works out !

Not sure if this is any help to you i have a set of four bolt mounts ( not the clamps the parts were you would attach the brake to ).

Your more than welcome to have them i can pop them over to you if there any help to you.

Biddle.

BIddle mate that would be sweet as that would save me so much sweat and tears plus keep the missus from moanin about cost lol . You sure you dont want nothin for them happy to pay mate !

BIddle mate that would be sweet as that would save me so much sweat and tears plus keep the missus from moanin about cost lol . You sure you dont want nothin for them happy to pay mate !

Na that's ok Scott what ill do is have a look for them in the shed tomorrow morning and i can pop them over to you if your in tomorrow.

Biddle.

Yer missus if off to work at about 1ish so il be about after that if all good with you .

I can drop them off to you at one and i gotta shoot off after that for a bit of lunch.

If the weathers nice ill ride down to the skatepark near yours and bring the mounts and then ill pop off after that

and we can sort out a few rides once you have got your bike sorted i.e mounts ect tomorrow aswell.

Biddle.

I can drop them off to you at one and i gotta shoot off after that for a bit of lunch.

If the weathers nice ill ride down to the skatepark near yours and bring the mounts and then ill pop off after that

and we can sort out a few rides once you have got your bike sorted i.e mounts ect tomorrow aswell.

Biddle.

That sound good mate il be about most of the afternoon so cool and once my bike is sorted and new parts fitted im defo up the ride or 3 with you mate need to ride more so all good in the hood ! peace