Advice Required.

bitemybutt

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. My band has been offered a record deal by a well known metal label.

They've offered us a one album deal with two choices of contract. The first is they take 20% of royalties, but we pay for mastering, pressing the CD's and promotion. The second is they take 50% royalties, but pay for mastering, pressing and promotions. Only thing is we would have to pay for studio time either way.

Does anyone know if this is a good deal? Normally labels give advances to artists to record an album and then recover the costs from sales.....

Would appreciate any advice

Cheers,

John

myspace.com/silentempathymetal

I guess you've just got work out for yourself whether the mastering, CD pressing and promo is going to take up 30% of your sales, 'cos that's effectively what the label are saying it'll be? If it works out as being less, then take the 20% deal. If it works out as being more, take the 50% deal. Either way, kinda sounds like they're bending you over a bit, but I guess they are taking a risk.

Just work out the percentages and see what's best in a financial sense (Y)

This is OBM on Stan's laptop, btw.

What deal is it? 360? What does:

'term'

'termination clause'

and

'territory'

say? You need to read the contract through VERY carefuly. Is it roadrunner by any chance?

One part of my degree is music business, so anything you want to know send me a PM and I'll try and remember what you need.

I'd say 20% and ask for a up front cash sum of enough to cover recording the album.

The 50% one probably takes a stupid amount of other things, and they probably want royalties 70 years after death (which you can negotiate to only stick for the length of the contract)

Are any of you part of the musicians union? If so, you can go (free) to a music lawyer and have them read through the contracts and have them tell you exactly what stuff means.

The 20% will require alot more work by yourself but may result in a little extra cash at the end of things.

The 50% usually means you have very little work but could resuly in slightly less cash.

So lots of work for a little more cash.

Or no work and a little less, you decide.

Either way thats a great deal friends got offered 70-80 plus...

Firstly, Congrats on getting noticed and getting offered a contract, that's brilliant,

2ndly I would go for the 50% option, the company are going to have good contacts and links, and will be able to get more for your money, like a better studio engineer, for a better mastering service, CD and Vinyl Pressers for cheaper, so will be able to get more pressings for the money,

and thirdly, Do it for the love, not the extra money...

Just on another note, try to negotiate with them. Hardly any companies these days expect you to take their first offer. Ask whether you can drop the 50 to 40, they might offer 45, they might night. They'll respect you for trying, if they have any sense. Also, try to trade off with intangibles - "Drop it to 40% and we'll commit to x public appearances per month no matter what" or something.

Put it this way. If no one buys your music (which there is a good chance) if you've taken the 50% deal then you loose nothing. Sure recording costs but you'll have the album for yourselves.

If you pay for all the pressing, mastering etc and no one buys your music then you'll be out of pocket big time. If the record label pays for everything then its really there money at stake and they may work harder to promote you and you guys will still get 50% of sales with no initial outlay costs.

Realistically how many records are you going to sell? Think of recouping your cost of recording, pressings etc then making a profit if you take the 20% deal. Don't be fooled by them taking a lesser stake as i think it will cost you monre money in the long run.

Put it this way. If no one buys your music (which there is a good chance) if you've taken the 50% deal then you loose nothing. Sure recording costs but you'll have the album for yourselves.

If you pay for all the pressing, mastering etc and no one buys your music then you'll be out of pocket big time. If the record label pays for everything then its really there money at stake and they may work harder to promote you and you guys will still get 50% of sales with no initial outlay costs.

Realistically how many records are you going to sell? Think of recouping your cost of recording, pressings etc then making a profit if you take the 20% deal. Don't be fooled by them taking a lesser stake as i think it will cost you monre money in the long run.

Pretty much exactly what we were thinking :)

Whats your band called? When you get known i will definately pirate some of your albums (Y)

Silent Empathy. Got a couple tracks which your welcome to have if you want me to msn you them (itfeelsgoodtobetheking@hotmail.com)

We're on myspace.com/silentempathymetal and facebook. Add us up if you get a minute :)