Pivoting While On The Rear?

staphan

If you can already pivot on the front then the easiest way to pivot on the rear wheel is to stay spinning after a front wheel pivot. Roll forward, jam the front brake on with your weight to the side of the front tyre you want to pivot to. Pick the back wheel up, spin on the front and as the back wheel comes down, hold the back brake, let your weight shift onto the back wheel and keep your body turning in the same direction as you spun on the front. You can make the pivot further by pulling the handlebars up after the back wheel has touched down. The pull on the handlebars is the same for a static rear wheel pivot.

How to get it past 180 degrees on either wheel I have no idea though (I know that theoretically you need to get the spin axis of your centre of gravity to pass through the contact patch of the tyre on the ground, but how to achieve this I have no idea)...

I thought he meant statically while backhopping? At the moment I imagine you're wasting lots of energy by hopping the bike underneath you then shuffling your hips to one side and manoeuvring the whole bike to one side, while keeping the front wheel in about the same place. What you want to do is get yourself in a nice balanced backhop and then while preloading for the next hop twist the handlebars a little (10-20 degrees) to allow your body to preload to the side as well as vertically. When you put the next hop in use that small preload in your arms/upper body to 'unwind' and move the bike a little to the same way you turned your bars to. Go for little changes in angle first and build up.

Probably best to watch some videos to get an idea of what I mean because it's kinda hard to describe!

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick...

I thought he meant statically while backhopping? At the moment I imagine you're wasting lots of energy by hopping the bike underneath you then shuffling your hips to one side and manoeuvring the whole bike to one side, while keeping the front wheel in about the same place. What you want to do is get yourself in a nice balanced backhop and then while preloading for the next hop twist the handlebars a little (10-20 degrees) to allow your body to preload to the side as well as vertically. When you put the next hop in use that small preload in your arms/upper body to 'unwind' and move the bike a little to the same way you turned your bars to. Go for little changes in angle first and build up.

Probably best to watch some videos to get an idea of what I mean because it's kinda hard to describe!

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick...

Yeah that's what I meant, and you describe my problems precisely! Thanks for the replies (Y)

i find if i twist the bars as i do it i can spin on the spot easier if i'm really on form i can do it by just unweighting the back wheel. how are you at doing setp up hops (no pedaling just the little corectional hops you want to use that amount of force)

Just move your weight to the opposite side to the one you want to turn the bike to, to preload the spin and then turn the bike in the air. What I found was that rather than thinking about where to put my weight on take-off, I ended up focusing on landing with my weight in the right place to stay balanced after the hop. You'll probably find from just hopping on the spot that there's a bit of side to side and twisting in the bike between hops anyway, so try hopping on the spot making sure each landing is balanced and keeping an eye out for what starts to tweak the bike around.