Computer Networking

Prawny Baby

Okay firstly this is Tori *waves*

Basically I want to get rid of the wireless broadband and go back to wires (for a more stable connection for geek activities) however I am not a very good geek and have run into some issues. I have a cable. I have a computer. I have a modem. I do NOT have a local area network connections symbol in the bottom right of my screen on have it any where in control pannel!

How on earth do I set it up with out this. I have tried just plugging it in. Nothing (although this does work fine on a different computer with the LAN symbol thing so it is not the cable or modem). I have tried getting new drivers for the network card. Nothing. How do I get my local area netwok connections back? Or is there a way around this?

Any advice greatly recieved.

Merci

By default, the icon in the bottom right is disabled. So it may be connected but now showing so where you'd expect it to.

Open your 'Network Connections' and check for the Local Area Network Connection' in there. Make sure it is enabled (if its there at all?) - if it is there, right click it and there should be a tickbox to say 'Show connection status in toolbar' or something along those lines :)

IF the connection is not showing, the problem is a little deeper. As Danny said, check in the Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager) and check for any drivers with a ? or ! next to them. This will identifiy an uninstalled device or device with another problem (incorrect drivers, disabled etc).

The LAN may also need to enabled via the BIOS settings. Keep hitting 'Delete' during start up and look over the settings in ther; it varies on different computers, but generally it'll be something obvious.

Lastly, If you go to Start > Run > type cmd

In the command prompt type ipconfig /all It'll hopefully bring up a lot of text, right click in the box and click 'Select All', hit Enter and post the text into here.

Edited by anzo

From the Ipconfig it doesn't look as though the ethernet onboard it installed properly.

Click on Start, then right click My Network Places, click properties. There should be icons for Local Area Network, Firewire etc. Printscreen what is there. Is there anything that says "Disabled" under it? If so you should be able to enable it by right-clicking.

If there is only the wifi there, then try right clicking my computer / properties /hardware tab / device manager. Is there anything with a red cross or an exclamation mark? Particularly under the network adapters section (but maybe also in the other devices section).

Looks to me like the drivers aren't installed for the onboard network card (intergrated with the motherboard I assume?)

My reason for this is that although you're not connected via the ethernet (even with a network error) it'll still detail the LAN in the ipconfig /all report, secondly the LAN isn't showing in the network connections under the control panel - you should also have 'Ethernet Controller' under the Device Manager.

1. Check the port at the back of the computer to ensure the greenlight is showing when the ethernet cable is plugged in, this will rule out a broken port.

2. I'd select the LAN chipset to 'Enabled' within the BIOS (if it allows) and try that.

3. Install the missing drivers - let me know the make and model of your PC, or the make and model of your motherboard if it was custom built.

4. If none of that works, I'd install a network card to avoid using the onboard one - These are about 10 quid or so from a PC shop (don't go to PC world), but I have a dozen of them spare if you want one of those?

Edited by anzo