Freewheel Best On Crank Or Rear Wheel

Happydaze

Hi and thank you kind people for my validation to being a member.

I have a query about free-wheels, Is it better to have it on the crank or on the rear wheel, the bike in question is one we are making at work in our spare time its a stock, Echo pure 07, and we are after some advice from more experienced riders on what the best set up will be, we intend to run single speed, what would be the fors and against

Thanks AL

Purely depends on what you prefer components wise. Rear freehubs mean the rear end will be a little heavier so the bike will be slightly less flicky. It tends to be cheaper to run a front freewheel but only if you already have a fixed rear hub and threaded cranks etc. Only real issue with front freewheels is their trouser diet but that's pretty much not a problem if you run a bashring.

Purely depends on what you prefer components wise. Rear freehubs mean the rear end will be a little heavier so the bike will be slightly less flicky. It tends to be cheaper to run a front freewheel but only if you already have a fixed rear hub and threaded cranks etc. Only real issue with front freewheels is their trouser diet but that's pretty much not a problem if you run a bashring.

ive got a bashring..and ive already killed 4 pairs of jeans :(

apart from that, FFW's are great :D

yeah, you've just got to learn to freewheel with your left foot down :Plol. People run freewheels on the front so that the 'gears' have more ground clearance. As said above, on stocks, a rear freehub will make the rear end a tad heavier but they dont eat yout trousers. I currently run a front frewheel on my mod but if I rode stock I'd run rear freehub, something like a pro2 trials as they seem to be uber reliable.