74kingz Problem

sstein

I have a couple of 74kingz tensioners. When I run one with my hope hub which uses a female axle it is fine, but when I use one with quick release it keeps moving around so I lose tension. I put on a normal tensioner but I just broke that so before I buy a new one I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to solve the problem? 

I have a couple of 74kingz tensioners. When I run one with my hope hub which uses a female axle it is fine, but when I use one with quick release it keeps moving around so I lose tension. I put on a normal tensioner but I just broke that so before I buy a new one I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to solve the problem? 

I'm not too sure on how a 74 kinz works, but is it possible that you aren't doing the quick release tight enough?

Mine did the same untill I secured it with a Jubilee clip. Might not work on all frames and suppose it depends on how much chain slack you have. Basically I put the Jubilee clip around the end of the chain stay to secure the stainless arm of the tensioner in place. Just so happened on my setup that part lined up with the chain stay. I would take a picture but I've gone back to using cheapo rear mechs :rolleyes:

i used to run the 74kings till the spring snapped, i tried to order a new one but they are out of business. I also used to say it was the best tensioner i have used, but i have found one i like more. it's the YESS ETR-V, well worth the price: http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-v

Should have used a 6" steel rule cute to size, would have saved yourself a lot of money and got a better spring that the originals in the process.

i use one with no tensioning issues at all with a Chris king qr hub.

I made a replica and it has been working for the past 2 years. Chris King + QR and no problems. Shimano QR skewers are the best.

i used to run the 74kings till the spring snapped, i tried to order a new one but they are out of business. I also used to say it was the best tensioner i have used, but i have found one i like more. it's the YESS ETR-V, well worth the price: http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-v

I have a bansaw blade on mine. Super durable & free.

Why dont you try tapping a thread into you axl;es and using bolts instead of Quick release?

Simple to do, and doesnt cost much, if anything.

Its been a while, but its eaither M6 or M5. And a couple bolts and washers will hold you wheel tight, and keep you tensioner tight.

Why dont you try tapping a thread into you axl;es and using bolts instead of Quick release?

Simple to do, and doesnt cost much, if anything.

Its been a while, but its eaither M6 or M5. And a couple bolts and washers will hold you wheel tight, and keep you tensioner tight.

I was thinking about this, though not sure the axle would hold. I was also thinking of getting a new axle machined that uses nuts, if I do that it means that I could also run pegs which would be cool as I do like to grind.