Avid Elixir Cr Disc Brake

nathie wafie

Im thinking of getting a set of Avid Elixir CR Disc Brake with carbon lever blades for my mod. Its either these of Hope Mono trials brakes. I just prefer the look of the avids and a tad cheaper than the Hopes. Any reviews with these regards to hold and performance appreciated.

Link to Avids :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29726

Nath

worst brake I ever had.

At first it was good...after the pads bedded (SP?) stopping power was good, but then...

With every day, it got only worse. After one rainy day, I had to throw away my pads (which were around 20 GBP a pair). There were no leaks, everything was fine, but instead of braking, the rotor made horrible maggie noize. and the pads messed up the rotor everytime I cleaned it. After I installed new pads and cleaned the rotor, I had a ride home, and it rained a tiniest bit.

When I was home - same result as previous time.

When it got colder, oild just leaked out of the brake in 1 hour during my ride.

My opinion is this is a horrible brake with many pointless settings that actualy does not work!!!!!

For the same money, hope is MUCH MUCH better. Even a 5-year old hope with 12 cracks in its rotor worked way better that avid.

nath seriously just get a hope. there expensive yeah but all the top guys use them, and there's gotta be a reason for that!

and definately do not get a bb7. seriously just dont.

EDIT: i've felt alot of those brakes in shops and they all feel rough. im talking halfords cable v-brake with a plastic lever, rough!

Edited by Rob Brodie

If you're talking for the rear, i can POSSIBLY see where you're coming from. But if you're talking about the front, you clearly know nothing.

im running a hope front and rear.

on both front and rear it holds (i.e never slipped once) it bites extremely well so how can you find a better brake?

a bb7 as soon as you get a bit of grit in the cable it becomes even more slugish than they already are.

bb7's hold well but there bite is shite. no'one understands that because they run them up front where you dont need bite.

EDIT: bet you £5 the only hopes youve felt/tried are ones that have been mistreated on some bashers bike

Edited by Rob Brodie

i found rear bb7 to be epic, 18 months of loving, i'm 105kg+ most of the time, they arent the biteyest of brakes, but thats what happens when you use cable brakes... i never had any prroblems like grit in my cables, how did you do that? theres noodles to stop that...

has anyone used these on an xc/dh bike? i have had a set of juicy carbons on my xc bike for going on 3 years and i have to say for 163mm rotors they are powerful. these elixir are supposed to be even better so i cant really seem them being shit... im very tempted to try a set on my xc bike and at crc's price i may well smack the pony.

yeah i understand that fully but you just cant compare a bb7 to a well maintained hope.

as for the grit it was a mate who had problems. he also had problems with the grit getting into the actuall mechanism

No because the hope is far worse...

BB brakes both the 5 and 7 are amazing, I prefer them to most other brakes, better on the front than rear but i'd still much rather have a BB7 with an XTR lever and clarkes cable.

A BB7 with good cable owns the life out of a hope when it comes to smoothness and ease to pull! The only reason why I don't use a BB7 is because of the extra weight. Also, not needing bite for the front brake?? I would consider the front to be far more important for bite than the rear brake!

has anyone used these on an xc/dh bike? i have had a set of juicy carbons on my xc bike for going on 3 years and i have to say for 163mm rotors they are powerful. these elixir are supposed to be even better so i cant really seem them being shit... im very tempted to try a set on my xc bike and at crc's price i may well smack the pony.

They are considerably sharper than Juicys, which are already quite powerful for XC brakes. Like most Avid hydraulics, when you get a good set they can be great, but the quality control is appalling. You could end up with all kinds of headaches as others have said. We've had numerous problems with sets we've sold at work or that have come fitted on new bikes. But then I've also been amazed at the power from such a light brake on test rides, not sure its worth the risk though! Also the lever blade pivot looks like a really weak link that could wear out very quickly, not a very solid fixing.

yeah i understand that fully but you just cant compare a bb7 to a well maintained hope.

as for the grit it was a mate who had problems. he also had problems with the grit getting into the actuall mechanism

BB7 i for sure as good as a hope trial in term of bite and locking power.

The weak point of the bb7 is the weight (and if it's the only heavy part of your bike it's not an issue) and maybe the modulation which is not so good.

Anyways, everybody out there knows that the bb7 is THE cheaper alternative to the hope.

Buying everything else than a hope , a bb7 or maybe a magura louise could probably be a waste of money.

Weird that a riding style can have such an impact on a brake.

My Elixir CR's are just awesome on my DH bike... not a single issue aside from me overheating the rear brake getting stuck behind slower riders.. glazed the pads slightly, sanded them and it's fine.

I can't say for sure, but I think the Elixir has more locking power than my Hope... I was considering replacing the Hope for a while, but everyone complains about the Elixir leaking on trials bikes, even riders at beginner levels.