Do Echo Tr Rim Brakes Leak Easy?

Dave Sutton

If bleeded with water

Water makes no difference to it. Some of them have some swarf still in the cylinder in the lever that kinda rapes the seals - you could run whatever you wanted and some of them would still leak unless you take the seals off and clean out the cylinders.

Water makes no difference to it. Some of them have some swarf still in the cylinder in the lever that kinda rapes the seals - you could run whatever you wanted and some of them would still leak unless you take the seals off and clean out the cylinders.

is that a hard thing to do will i have to re-bleed the brakes?

Not sure about this statement,I´m kinda sure it makes difference...

It really doesn't. The things people have made up about water being the devil's fluid never, ever add up. It seems like someone makes up some random shit about it that everyone then recites whenever anyone asks whether water works or not, then goes on about it until someone points out how it's false. I think the latest one was that 'water's not a lubricant', which doesn't make any sense at all, not least because there's a total of about 25ml maximum of water in your brake (aka f**k all), and most of that's in a plastic tube which doesn't really need much lubrication...

BLEED with OIL!

Or with a water/anti-freeze mix at this time of year.

Water itself won't leak through the seals. It also won't perish them. It also won't 'dry them out' as I've heard people suggest. It really doesn't do anything negative to the seals at all. For the last 5 years I've had a bike with a Magura on it, it's been bled with water and antifreeze, and I haven't ever had a leaking brake.

Water itself won't leak through the seals. It also won't perish them. It also won't 'dry them out' as I've heard people suggest. It really doesn't do anything negative to the seals at all. For the last 5 years I've had a bike with a Magura on it, it's been bled with water and antifreeze, and I haven't ever had a leaking brake.

It just seems echo seem to die quicker with water.....

Tarty even state that you shouldn't bleed with water :S

It just seems echo seem to die quicker with water.....

Tarty even state that you shouldn't bleed with water :S

No, it states that that would invalidate your warranty (although a re-bleed with oil would make that pretty hard to spot, wouldn't it?) - it doesn't say it wouldn't work. Bleeding a Magura with water invalidates the warranty too, according to Magura themselves. Same with the SL, yet Stan's got his tweaked SL running with a water-bleed and it's the best hydraulic rim brake I've ever felt.