Broken Bones

smelly joe

Was meant to be in Norway working till the end of march and should of been able to come home and get straight back on my bike. However i pushed it a bit to hard snowboarding and managed to snap, shatter, and pop both bones in my forearm out of my skin!

now the proud recipient of 2 hefty plates and 12 pins i was wondering if anyone knew the sort of recovery time id be looking at before being able to get back on my bike, and what sort of hindrance it may cause?

anybody else been threw it and would like to shed some light for me?

i did the exact same thing but on my leg, compound fracture yeah ?, f**kin hurts hha i know how bad it is man doctors told me the healing time is quiker with plates in because it helps them to knit quiker and supports the bone better but it was about 4 weeks before i could walk i was back riding lightly within about 8 weeks though just take it easy because i fractured mine again not long after it healed, its ok now this was like 2 years ago, hope iv helped and good luck with the recovery thumbsupanim.gif

yeah, compound, if your going to do it, mite aswell do it properly, surprisingly didn't hurt that much, more just amazed that my arm was dangling around!

its been a month since i did it now and i still got no strength in my hand, and can't fully straighten my arm due to the plates and amount if scar tissue.

anybody else been through similar but with arms?

EDIT : i got the x-rays aswell if anyone is interested

Edited by smelly joe

Torn or sprained ligaments are FAR worse than broken bones. I've broken my thumb before, and 8 weeks later I was able to use it limitedly, and had FOM back within another month. Full strength back in 2 months.

I got mallet finger a couple months back, my pinky is straight and healed, but you can definitely tell it's nowhere near as strong as before (small things like, scrubbing your scalp in the shower, you notice it's weak), and I have a feeling it will always be that way. Fast forward a month and I hyper-extended my knee. Let it heal for 2 months, felt perfectly fine, went to go ride the bike and I guess I strained it or pulled it, because it was massive pain to straighten the next day. Once straight, the pain was gone, till I tried to bend it again. Weight on it didn't bother it what so ever, it was movement. Took 2 weeks to make that pain subside. Subside, not heal.

To this day, my knee sucks. The actual motions of pedaling do not hurt or irritate the knee. Large drops don't hurt it, running doesn't hurt it, tumbling in gymnastics doesn't hurt it. What hurts it is the scooping action when you bunny hop or sidehop, or pedal up and lift the bike underneath you (think hamstring curls at the gym). THAT'S what irritates it. And it won't bother me when I'm riding so much (I'm aware of it however) it's the days, and sometimes 2-3 weeks after that it kills me and I limp around.

So in short, ease into it SLOWLY. Nothing worse than thinking it healed "good enough" so you can go ride, only to find out, you need to take another break off the bike for another couple weeks. That's worse than not haven been able to ride the entire time. The itch to ride again sucks, the pain of not being able to ride AGAIN because you were impatient, is far worse.

I snapped my radius and ulna about 10 years ago now, no bones poking through the skin but the doctors figure that one out... stretchy skin they put it down to :P i had two plates and twelve screws put in there to hold it all together during the healing process for the same reason as you. It took me about 3 months to get back to riding XC and very light DH (i didn't ride trials at the time) and about 6 months before i could really go for it on the DH bike. The bad news is that i still have a lot of issues with it, i had a plate removed after 4 years as it was rubbing on my ulna never and the surrounding muscles, hoping this would solve the pins and needles, numbness and pain i was getting. Unfortunately it didn't, the never is still damaged, i still get a lot of pain in the first 3 fingers of my hand and the numbness is annoying as it can cause you to lose grip on the bars and the most impromptu moments. Take your recovery easy, find some decent physio to do as the range of movement in my elbow and wrist joint to ages to get back to normal and hopefully all will be ok. I guess i was just unlucky!

been told the plates will be removed in about 2 years, all going well, but i am hoping they will not cause me to much grief or limit me while they are still in.

the numbness is annoying and i am hoping it will fade away with time, but i have lost almost all the feeling in my thumb as i have damaged my nerves.

i really need it to at least be able to use on my road bike by June as i got a 1800 mile ride from Norway to Yeovil i am doing.

im concerned in the future with the impacts riding will have on my arm with the plates in, whether it may cause more damage than good to my bones?

and for people who want to see the x-rays

xray1.jpg?t=1266418545

xray3.jpg?t=1266418604

xray4.jpg?t=1266418640

been told the plates will be removed in about 2 years, all going well, but i am hoping they will not cause me to much grief or limit me while they are still in.

the numbness is annoying and i am hoping it will fade away with time, but i have lost almost all the feeling in my thumb as i have damaged my nerves.

i really need it to at least be able to use on my road bike by June as i got a 1800 mile ride from Norway to Yeovil i am doing.

im concerned in the future with the impacts riding will have on my arm with the plates in, whether it may cause more damage than good to my bones?

and for people who want to see the x-rays

xray1.jpg?t=1266418545

xray3.jpg?t=1266418604

xray4.jpg?t=1266418640

Hopefully the numbness will be ok, mines still there after 10 years or so, extremely frustrating but how bad it is fluxuates. I've fallen off both my trials bike and DH and landed on my arm, it hurts more than he other one, but no issues other than that (Y)