Brake Guides For Rear Vee Brake

Guantanamo

i don't like using the cable guides, i think you should avoid having sharp bends in cables (reduces resistance and feels smoother at the lever), so i run my brake cable wide around my steerer tube letting it cross over the top of my frame to meet the caliper, then i'll tape it down to the top tube with some duct tape where-ever it seats itself :) the cable guides make the cable turn in to sharp in my experience (obviously thats fine for hydraulics)

i don't like using the cable guides, i think you should avoid having sharp bends in cables (reduces resistance and feels smoother at the lever), so i run my brake cable wide around my steerer tube letting it cross over the top of my frame to meet the caliper, then i'll tape it down to the top tube with some duct tape where-ever it seats itself :) the cable guides make the cable turn in to sharp in my experience (obviously thats fine for hydraulics)

I agree at the moment my cable has a sharp bend in it as it runs down the frame where it leavs and goes to the back brake and when i brake i feal the cable rubbing. Its not ideal but i put up with it.

But what you could use are some cable guides ive never used them so dont no how good they are but here is a link to them.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10896&category_id=5

Edited by matthew_coggan

I agree at the moment my cable has a sharp bend in it as it runs down the frame where it leavs and goes to the back brake and when i brake i feal the cable rubbing. Its not ideal but i put up with it.

But what you could use are some cable guides ive never used them so dont no how good they are but here is a link to them.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10896&category_id=5

Recon i could see a photo of how the v brake cabling runs down to the brake> I'm a bit confused as my bmx had a specific guide at the end

Thanks

Sorry about last pic was shit hope this one is better

As you can see in the picture there is quite alot of a bend from where the cable leavs the frame to where it goes on the calliper, at the back you need to try and reduce this angle for the brake to feel better.

Edited by matthew_coggan

I drilled my top tube and routed my cable internally for the smoothest possible route from lever to noodle. It made the lever action super smooth. Here's a pic of the routing, I'm running a magura now but you get the idea.

kk, thanks.

One more questin before i go and buy a lot of kit. My brake mount spacing is 90mm and my rear rim 30mm will i be able to install a v setup on the rear?

Thanks

adam

kk, thanks.

One more questin before i go and buy a lot of kit. My brake mount spacing is 90mm and my rear rim 30mm will i be able to install a v setup on the rear?

Thanks

adam

Yeah that should be fine. You can get a few mm more with some vee adapters also. It's best to use the shortest cable you can if not using a linear, you will reduce the sponge that way.

Yeah that should be fine. You can get a few mm more with some vee adapters also. It's best to use the shortest cable you can if not using a linear, you will reduce the sponge that way.

Thanks

What's the difference between a linear cable and a normal cable? linear pre stretched?

Thanks

Adam

It's the way the steel wire braiding that makes up the outer is arranged, either linearly, so it runs along the length of the cable and provides less resistance and is prone to less crimping and pinching the inner or standard.

Sound, thanks

so it's a good idea to use a bmx cable?