Disc Brakes

zoo python luke

"Bigger rotor...more leverage round hub, more bite and hold. Smaller rotor...the opposite"

Bigger rotor gives you only more leverage. Bite and hold is given by the size of surface where pads touches the rotor. Some rotors are made to fit exactly the size of pads and in some cases the contact surface of 160s is bigger than 180s used with inapropriate brake. It depends. For example if you run Avid rotor with Hope mono trial you won´t get the best of it because the surface of pads is larger then rotor. The same if you run Hope trial rotor with Avid brake, but in this case pads won´t cover all the surface of rotor. Good drilling is also importat because it helps to mantain braking power by cleaning the pads. What matters the most is of course the brake itself. Good disc brake is efficient even with the poor rotor. I use Hope mono mini on both wheels and it´s great. Now I am trying them filled with water. Not to improve a lever feel, because Hopes work perfectly, but to reduce micro-leaking which gradually attracts dirt and decreases braking performance. :blink:

Just a quote from a website.

"Larger discs produce a more powerful braking system. Discs in general can be heavy as they are made from steel compounds so weight is the downside of large disc brake rotors. You may have noticed holes in some discs used for lightness, cooling, and self cleaning of dirt. More holes reduces stopping power. Disc brake rotors go from 130 to 205 in diameter (side to side). Downhill bikers usually have larger discs as you'd expect with more rugged riding conditions. Cross country boys will use something like a 160 mm disc on the front and general riders will choose something in the middle - a compromise between the two. Front discs tend to be larger than rear discs as a rule. Remember that discs with no holes at all means more dirt on the disc surface so watch out - perhaps you want to ask your bike shop or some experienced ATB riders what kind of disc brake rotors they use. "

"Bigger rotor...more leverage round hub, more bite and hold. Smaller rotor...the opposite"

Bigger rotor gives you only more leverage. Bite and hold is given by the size of surface where pads touches the rotor. Some rotors are made to fit exactly the size of pads and in some cases the contact surface of 160s is bigger than 180s used with inapropriate brake. It depends. For example if you run Avid rotor with Hope mono trial you won´t get the best of it because the surface of pads is larger then rotor. The same if you run Hope trial rotor with Avid brake, but in this case pads won´t cover all the surface of rotor. Good drilling is also importat because it helps to mantain braking power by cleaning the pads. What matters the most is of course the brake itself. Good disc brake is efficient even with the poor rotor. I use Hope mono mini on both wheels and it´s great. Now I am trying them filled with water. Not to improve a lever feel, because Hopes work perfectly, but to reduce micro-leaking which gradually attracts dirt and decreases braking performance. :blink:

Are you saying that you've bled your disc brake with water? :blink: If so that's not the greatest of ideas to be honest.

Have you got any personal experience with that? :blink: I admit, that using water in discs might cause problems when overheated but on the other side, this is not case of trials riding. Anyway, I wouldn´t recomend using water in discs to anyone who is happy with oil. I just wanted to show that there is also an alternative. Good setting of brakes is in the first place of course. :)

Has been done before....and it buggers the hell out of the Hope internals.

As to that Micro-leaking , water is less viscous, so will tend to leak more surely? :S

Edited by Alex Dark

Have you got any personal experience with that? :blink: I admit, that using water in discs might cause problems when overheated but on the other side, this is not case of trials riding. Anyway, I wouldn´t recomend using water in discs to anyone who is happy with oil. I just wanted to show that there is also an alternative. Good setting of brakes is in the first place of course. :)

Nah, never really had the need for it as I've never had to pay for dot4. The main reason i use water in maggies is because its free.

Has been done before....and it buggers the hell out of the Hope internals.

Really? How specifically?

As to that Micro-leaking , water is less viscous, so will tend to leak more surely? :S

Good point. I don´t mind water leaking out of the breake, it is harmless. Eco-maniacs love me :lol:

Thanks for comment.