Shimano Am40 Mtb Shoes

tom@eastcoasttrials

I know a few people who ride in them for XC and DH.

They are meant to be very comfortable and extremely grippy.

If they were not white I would buy myself some, I am in the market for some 5.10's once money allows, my current riding shoes are a bit of a state!

im sick and tired of going biking and my feet hurting because my trainers dont give good support :(

thanks for your input man :) might go for and give them a try :)

I own them, and the fact that they're white doesn't mean anything. The material they use is similar to vinyl and it doesn't get dirty. The sole is almost too grippy. I can't adjust my foot position on my pedals without lifting my foot off the pedal. Another super plus is they come with an additional support, like a hard plastic insert that you put under the insoles that has an adhesive on one side so it stays put. It makes the shoe even stiffer than it already is.

I can't recommend them enough. If you watch the beginning of the Danny Mac April vid, it's the shoe he's wearing. :P But seriously, if you watch the NWD vids, and you pay attention to the shoes alot of people are wearing, it's the AM40s.

*edit* Forgot to mention that I use DK Distorion Magnesium pedals, and they grip like they're clipped in. Even on plastic pedals, these things grip great. So if you have good pedals, they grip even better.

Edited by rupintart

I own them, and the fact that they're white doesn't mean anything. The material they use is similar to vinyl and it doesn't get dirty. The sole is almost too grippy. I can't adjust my foot position on my pedals without lifting my foot off the pedal.

*edit* Forgot to mention that I use DK Distorion Magnesium pedals, and they grip like they're clipped in. Even on plastic pedals, these things grip great. So if you have good pedals, they grip even better.

Both of this.

Excellent shoe, get them.

Yeah these shoes are great,

The reason i got them is cause i broke my foot and you can insert a stiffer insole shank so it would offer more support and not twist.

I run them with the inspired (the best EVER) pedal and loved it before i got my latest injoury.

I couldn't reccomend these shoes enough, and they look amazing to!

Kenny

I have the AM40 and Mp56's both awesome shoes for trials and XC... I did buy a pair of 5 10 Karvers but they had a funny instep on the outside of the shoe which my feet didnt get on with..

I wish they still made the Mp56's but they have been discountinued, you can buy the mp66 but they have a flap on the underside so that you can run SPD's which can get ripped off!

Oh, and it has ankle protection. The inner topline of the shoe is higher to protect your inside ball of your ankle. So it's good for tailwhips:) Also, due to the design of how it is on your foot, it's REALLY hard to roll your ankle because of of how it has the inner ankle protection.

Like I said, best shoe I've ever used.

1235130611249-v6b4fjc5uf69-399-75.jpg

Right..

I can put mud on my car and it's dirty. What I was referring to it wipes right off. It doesn't stain like if you fell in your jeans, your jeans are pretty much stained, even possibly after washed. Don't comment on a product if you have absolutely no first hand experience with it.

shoe.jpg

That's my shoe with 3 months of getting used EVERYDAY/every other day in BMX, trials, and DJing. I've had a couple spills in the dirt, and the shoe comes right clean with a wet cloth. No scrubbing. All it has is that one scuff on the toe that's not coming out. Show me what your riding shoe looks like after 3 months of HARD riding.

Edited by rupintart

• 1 month later...
I know a few people who ride in them for XC and DH.

They are meant to be very comfortable and extremely grippy.

If they were not white I would buy myself some, I am in the market for some 5.10's once money allows, my current riding shoes are a bit of a state!

I ended up buying some AM40's because my LBS had them in stock and did them for a good price. I didn't really want to risk ordering shoes online and having to send them back because they didn't fit properly.

I have been using them for a few rides now and am so glad I bought them! Light weight, comfortable and the lace cover is great.

I run the shoes with the stiffer plastic insert and Wellgo MG1 pedals, the grip is fantastic!

The shoes also don't look that bad in real life (admittedly part of me would still prefer black shoes but its not a big deal because the AM40's perform so well!)

Highly recommended (Y)