Rockman Or Gu?

shetlandtrialsrider

Go for the gu, like £150 cheaper, stronger so will last, and imo looks nicer. Although if your a weight weenie go for the manus.

However my opinion will be biased as i ride a gu lol. Both are great frames.

Edited by Mr Bob

We've sold a lot of Rockman frames that are all a fair bit over 5 minutes old and haven't had any of the mod frames back to my knowledge. Maybe one or two, but that's about it.

Cos everyone is scared to ride them just incase they snap/crack :P

Rockman has cool frames just too expensive. I'd say get the LE.

wasnt that a stock frame he had?

id defo get a gu (Y)

Yeah Paddys is a stock.

I'd go GU- Cheaper, better value for money, stronger, been in the game alot longer than Rockman, and Mr Deng knows his stuff. Or at least how to work a CNC machine.

Rockman are pretty new, expensive, and aimed at rich comp riders who change bikes every 5 minutes

Yeah Paddys is a stock.

I'd go GU- Cheaper, better value for money, stronger, been in the game alot longer than Rockman, and Mr Deng knows his stuff. Or at least how to work a CNC machine.

Rockman are pretty new, expensive, and aimed at rich comp riders who change bikes every 5 minutes

guys you are a bit unfair and Manichaean.

Rockman maybe make "comp bikes", but regarding the price of a koxx, or other brands, it's not so expensive.

Of course, if you aim to bash your bike, a light frame can't handle it. Neither a rockman nor echo control for example.

You can't have a light frame and a "bash proof" frame in the same time.

(That's why for example the atomz quark 2 will be a bit heavier than the first one.)

It's your own choice.

That doesn't mean rockman's frames are weak..

guys you are a bit unfair and Manichaean.

Rockman maybe make "comp bikes", but regarding the price of a koxx, or other brands, it's not so expensive.

Of course, if you aim to bash your bike, a light frame can't handle it. Neither a rockman nor echo control for example.

You can't have a light frame and a "bash proof" frame in the same time.

(That's why for example the atomz quark 2 will be a bit heavier than the first one.)

It's your own choice.

That doesn't mean rockman's frames are weak..

Come on, they're about 1.4kg, whereas the GU is about 1.8kg... That's 400g extra, which means there's more meat on the frame, which means its stronger.

The only reason rockmans haven't cracked is because they're ridden by serious competition riders, and the street bashers who do have them haven't ridden them for along time to snap them

Except Kieran. Who's just a street machine

i'm not sure you can say that a 1.4kg frame is stronger than a 1.8kg frame.

I'm not an engineer, but i assume there is a lot of parameter to take in consideration.

But in my mind, a 1.4kg frame can be as strong as a 1.8 frame, depending of the shapes of the tubing, and the material used.

But it worth for a frame with no dents.

Because dents will decrease a lot more a lightweight frame with thin tubing than a "heavy" frame".

Thaht's why lightweight frames are not for street riding, or bashers.

I you want to ride this king of frame hard you have to accept to change it more often....i guess.

Rockmans are designed to be lighweight, there's no arguments there, so to fulfill this, material must be taken away from places. This is done in two ways, CNC machining and tube gauge. Rockman do save a lot of weight from clever CNC gussets and braces, but to get the extra bit of weight off the tubes must be made lighter. When it comes to what you refer to as 'strength', the rockman frame will probably be equally as stiff as the Gu, particularly the front end of the frame. However, lightweight alloys with thin wall thicknesses are greatly weakend by deformation. 6061 T6 or U6 alloy will be suseceptible to cracking if it is dented, and this is what most people refer to as 'strength'. People buy lighweight frames so that they can jump higher, 400g can make quite a difference, but then they complain that they are weak when they dent and brake.

If you're going to buy any lightweight frame, then make sure you look after the downtube and chainstays as a heavy knock could lead to the end of it.

Kieran, I look forward to seeing how long your Speedrace frame lasts if you ride it in the same way (only you will probably know this).

I have been riding my Rockman frame for 2 months now and it still feels and rides like new. Normally after a month frames start to loose their positive feeling but mine hasn't which is a first. I also have friends that have owned a Rockman frame for nearly 12 months now and they have had no problems at all.

We've sold a lot of Rockman frames that are all a fair bit over 5 minutes old and haven't had any of the mod frames back to my knowledge. Maybe one or two, but that's about it.

Tarty have sold allot of Rockman frames and this is the kind of advice you need to take notice of. Not from a guy that has recently started to slate Rockman products at every opportunity possible.

Come on, they're about 1.4kg, whereas the GU is about 1.8kg... That's 400g extra, which means there's more meat on the frame, which means its stronger.

The only reason rockmans haven't cracked is because they're ridden by serious competition riders, and the street bashers who do have them haven't ridden them for along time to snap them

I dont think thats the case at all.

Im pretty sure a serious competition rider will put a bike / frame through its paces far more than a street basher would!

If you have the money for a Rockman, buy it! You wont be disapointed. At the end of the day you get what you pay for, if you want a well made frame that has had time spent on it making sure it rides nice buy the Rockman. If you want a cheaper frame where very little thought has gone into how it will ride (balance points etc) buy the GU.

Ben.