Spoke Pattern

Oli P

I am going to build a new front wheel but I am not sure what spoke pattern to go for. I am running a BB7 so it needs to be strong but looking at the wheels on Tarty they have a 3 cross disk side and straight on the other side and was woundering if it is strong enough.

I would like to have it as light as possible but without giving up any rigidity.

What do people think is the best pattern?

If you want a strong wheel, then 3x disc/2x non-disc would probably be a pretty good balance. Other than that, 3x or 2x disc side and radial non-disc should be fine, really. Almost all the wheels with build and spoke we provide lengths for are for that kind of setup, and we've not had any complaints. I know on my bikes I've got 2x or 3x disc, radial non-disc, and it's the same for Adam, Stan and Ali too.

If you want a strong wheel, then 3x disc/2x non-disc would probably be a pretty good balance. Other than that, 3x or 2x disc side and radial non-disc should be fine, really. Almost all the wheels with build and spoke we provide lengths for are for that kind of setup, and we've not had any complaints. I know on my bikes I've got 2x or 3x disc, radial non-disc, and it's the same for Adam, Stan and Ali too.

Thanks for that Mark, I am currently running 3x on both sides and that is plenty strong enough but was think that it was a bit much. I think I will go for a 3x disc and radial on the other side and see how it goes.

ahhhh! this would explain why i found the spokes tarty sent for my front wheel build were too short on the non disk side!!!

Ended up running it in this manner (3xdisk and radial non disk) and its perfectly fine, just felt odd building it after years of crossing spokes!

ahhhh! this would explain why i found the spokes tarty sent for my front wheel build were too short on the non disk side!!!

There will have been a 'Spoke Length Information' slip in your order, showing you which spokes went on which side and also which crossing to build them (Y)

There will have been a 'Spoke Length Information' slip in your order, showing you which spokes went on which side and also which crossing to build them (Y)

Correct, being a man however, i didn't need to look at any of the paper crap.

Started lacing the disk side with the spokes i'd comapred and found the same as the previous build. I got to the non disk side (still 3x), realised i had made a boo boo.

So I checked the order and realised the added info slip, which was enlightening. (thanks tarty)

I subsequently went 'aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! it makes sense' - *throws away paper slip and cracks on with build*

Edited by shamus