160Mm Or 170Mm Cranks? Which Ones?

Theo

Title and description says it all, couldnt find any answers from the search bar:

160mm or 170mm cranks?

which ones?

whats the difference?

Im riding a 20 incher, :giggle:

hope i can get some answers, im looksing to get some spined ones, finally!

Thanks

Theo (Y)

Shut up Josh if you don't know what you going on about.

The difference, if you had already guessed in lenth. The longer the crank, the lighter the gear ratio. I am using 170 trialtechs, from going from 160 onza t-pro cranks. And it rides so much better, everything feels bigger, yet easyer. I personly wouldn't recommend anymore than 170's on a mod as it would feel too light, and feel like shite!. (In my opinion) I think slutbikes Adam uses 175's and he seems to be getting on fine with them.

So, It's more personal preference. But I recommend, go for it.

The longer the crank, the lighter the gear ratio.

So, It's more personal preference. But I recommend, go for it.

hate to sound like a idiot, but, "gear ratio" whats this?

My guess is erm... nevermind.

Thanks! Theo (Y)

get 170!

Personally I don't see why you would ever want 160, it just makes what ever gear you've got harder to push :blink:

very strange when obviously you want to snap as much power forward as you can, as quick as you can

Thanks mate that leaves things decided!

Theo (Y)

I know that the crank length changes the ratio, but does having longer cranks give you a mechanical advantage as you have more leveradge?

It doesn't change the gear ratio, it does provide more leverage, which causes the effect of your gearing feeling lighter.

You must have defective legs then ;) I noticed a difference from 175s to 170s, and I much prefer 175s! Just feels a lot, lot better for power moves because it feels like you can get all the power of 18:12 a lot easier because you've got that extra leverage. For pretty much everything involving power it's a bonus. It does feel lighter at first, but once you get used to that feeling it's awesome because although it 'feels' lighter, you can still tank at stuff like you can with shorter cranks, but with less effort (Y)

for rolling gaps is it better to have longer or shorter cranks?

I think my montys are 158mm

I remember reading somewhere that some downhill racers use shorter cranks as they can sprint better with them. Think it may have been on BikeMagic a couple of years ago...