Chain Ring?

riddler

hi there, im looking at getting a chain ring for my crankset but i dont know how many teeth it should have? or what is ideal?

iv got 15teeth on the rear sprocket, any suggestions please?

thanks smile.gif

I was advised on an 18t up front with 15 on rear, rides quite nice really!

Thats what i thought....you ain't got no screw on cranks, but you've still got options.

You can either run a 22t chainring with a standard middleburn bashguard, or a 20t either, but you'll probably want to but a new rear sprocket (larger). If you do want to run an 18t front sprocket on middleburns (which is what i do) you'll have to either buy a heatsink cloud 9 set-up or one of the bashguard/18t things on tartys made for middleburns.

You see, a couple of years ago you couldn't run 18t front rings as there was no way of doing so - now you have a few options.

Thats what i thought....you ain't got no screw on cranks, but you've still got options.

You can either run a 22t chainring with a standard middleburn bashguard, or a 20t either, but you'll probably want to but a new rear sprocket (larger). If you do want to run an 18t front sprocket on middleburns (which is what i do) you'll have to either buy a heatsink cloud 9 set-up or one of the bashguard/18t things on tartys made for middleburns.

You see, a couple of years ago you couldn't run 18t front rings as there was no way of doing so - now you have a few options.

What he said ^ :) Probably be cheaper to get a second hand pair of screw on cranks so thats worth bearing in mind....

The ratio of choice for me is 18:16 with 170mm arms, or 18:15 with 175s

No its not, and besdies MIddleburns are better than most screw on cranks.

All you need is this: http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/?p=cloud9

That is the cloud9 set-up i mentioned. 18t chainring and respective bashguard - a beautfiul bit of kit, i adore mine. I only wish it was £30 when i bought it. This is genuinely a great bargain and you won't regret it. Also, its not much more than the price of a single chain ring anyway.