Stuck Sprocket

scotty007

Hi just got a rear 26" wheel with a echo screw on sprocket but the little bugger is jammed on so tight i cant get it off. Ive tryed everything i know of to get it off but with no luck , can anyone suggest any other ways of removing this with out damage to the wheel or hub . Was thinking of using heat to expand the metal then it might come loose but would this affect the hub as it ali many thanks !!

How about wrapping a chain round the sprocket twice, so that the teeth do not protrude above the chain. Then clamp it in a vice. Then using two hands turn the wheel anti clockwise (i think). You should have plenty of leveradge by using the wheel.

Whatever you do make sure its the chain your are applying the clamping force to and not the teeth!

How about wrapping a chain round the sprocket twice, so that the teeth do not protrude above the chain. Then clamp it in a vice. Then using two hands turn the wheel anti clockwise (i think). You should have plenty of leveradge by using the wheel.

Whatever you do make sure its the chain your are applying the clamping force to and not the teeth!

Well ive just come i from the shed and tryed that method that you suggested and nothing the F****er wont budge at all. Im now thiking Haksaw maybe grinder but other sugestions would go a long please help!!!

Well ive just come i from the shed and tryed that method that you suggested and nothing the F****er wont budge at all. Im now thiking Haksaw maybe grinder but other sugestions would go a long please help!!!

Just had a look, one wrap round the sprocket does the trick.

Did you fail because it slipped in the vice? Or could you not get enough force on it? If its the latter, try two people each end of the wheel.

the tartybikes video is the best way I know of to do it

If it's really on so tight that that method won't work, I reckon there's some other problem hidden in there.

You could grind a slot in the sprocket and spread it to get it off, but you stand a huuuuuuuge chance of grinding into the threads on the hub whilst doing so

I wrap the cog in a chain but miss out one tooth so the chain sticks out in a triangle shape. pop in a vice and turn...the triangle bit of chain will wedge itself in the vice thus allowing the cog to unscrew...never failed so far.

I wrap the cog in a chain but miss out one tooth so the chain sticks out in a triangle shape. pop in a vice and turn...the triangle bit of chain will wedge itself in the vice thus allowing the cog to unscrew...never failed so far.

Ok lads nothing i tryed worked so out came the angle grinder and all i can say is +1 for the mighty angle grinder. But i now have another issue which your skills might come in handy for : The axle spacer or the bit circuled in this pic pushes up to the bearing when the wheel sits in the frame with the axle bolts done up nice and tight the wheel refuses to move any ideas on where im going wrong or any sugestions on how to stop this part of the hub from sqaushing the bearings and making it seize up .Its all good if the axle bolts are done up loseley but this aint gonna work . Thanks from a very stressed and fed up member :(

Oh and does anybody know where i can get this part from please

post-24045-126901057548_thumb.jpg

Edited by scotty007

Ok lads nothing i tryed worked so out came the angle grinder and all i can say is +1 for the mighty angle grinder. But i now have another issue which your skills might come in handy for : The axle spacer or the bit circuled in this pic pushes up to the bearing when the wheel sits in the frame with the axle bolts done up nice and tight the wheel refuses to move any ideas on where im going wrong or any sugestions on how to stop this part of the hub from sqaushing the bearings and making it seize up .Its all good if the axle bolts are done up loseley but this aint gonna work . Thanks from a very stressed and fed up member :(

Oh and does anybody know where i can get this part from please

I'd put money on you not trying hard enough to turn the wheel to loosen the cog. You should give it a sharp quick twist first to try and loosen it rather than just constant pressure. But anyway, that's done now.

The spacer must be rubbing on the bearing in the wrong place I'd imagine. You just need a washer between the bearing and the spacer to push it out a little and stop it pressing on the bearing in the wrong place. Is it a new hub?

I'd put money on you not trying hard enough to turn the wheel to loosen the cog. You should give it a sharp quick twist first to try and loosen it rather than just constant pressure. But anyway, that's done now.

The spacer must be rubbing on the bearing in the wrong place I'd imagine. You just need a washer between the bearing and the spacer to push it out a little and stop it pressing on the bearing in the wrong place. Is it a new hub?

No it not a new hub i got the wheel off the FS section. The wheel itself is in ok condition as is the hub its not out of shape or bent . Just wont turn while the axle bolts are done up tight . So your theroy might be correct about the washer pushing on the incorrect part of the bearing .

No it not a new hub i got the wheel off the FS section. The wheel itself is in ok condition as is the hub its not out of shape or bent . Just wont turn while the axle bolts are done up tight . So your theory is correct about the washer pushing on the incorrect part of the bearing .

nearly always this...need a wee washer so the bearing preloader sits against the inner steel part of the bearing.