No Pain, No Gain?

LifeTrials

Hey I've just read this on the BBC Scotland article about Danny Megaskill's video and notice the quote below in light of my aching wrist after my first day of trials riding>

"Mr MacAskill added that he has to take ibuprofen before he rides his bike to stop the pain in his wrists from years of absorbing the impact of his daredevil stunts."

I've been trying to recover to get back on the bike but it seems that I'm destined to have knackered painful wrists as a trials rider.

Am tempted to just pop the ibuprofen and get on with it rather than properly recover! Anybody done similar?

Lately I've been popping ibuprofen for my back before every ride....

Today it got to the point where I took one during the actual ride, I really need to go see a doctor about it to be honest...

x

Yep, sounds like seeing a doc would be a good idea mate! Got to look after your back!

i came off pretty badly nearly two weeks ago and was pretty banged up, i feel completely fine now but when i get on my bike i get the worst pain in my left shoulder its unreal, does munching a bunch of pain killers before a ride actually help? and how early before i ride should i take them?

all depends on the pain and the injury

if its pain from anything other than a superficial injury you should seriously address it before deciding to get all alpha male and 'manning up'. some injuries can be pretty deceiving and can result in pretty long lasting damage if not rested....you can be as hard as you like in that situation and carry on riding, but most of us have lives off the bike that we'd like to carry on without issues!

painkillers as fine as long as they dont allow you to damage yourself further. strapping/some sort of visual/sensual reminder of an injury is recommended in most cases...even in the weeks after the initial pain has died down. ibuprofen is especially helpfull as its an anti-inflamatory - swelling is reduced, reducing pain and actually reducing the risk of a repeated injury.

all depends on the pain and the injury

if its pain from anything other than a superficial injury you should seriously address it before deciding to get all alpha male and 'manning up'. some injuries can be pretty deceiving and can result in pretty long lasting damage if not rested....you can be as hard as you like in that situation and carry on riding, but most of us have lives off the bike that we'd like to carry on without issues!

painkillers as fine as long as they dont allow you to damage yourself further. strapping/some sort of visual/sensual reminder of an injury is recommended in most cases...even in the weeks after the initial pain has died down. ibuprofen is especially helpfull as its an anti-inflamatory - swelling is reduced, reducing pain and actually reducing the risk of a repeated injury.

Thanks man - good advice. It's just so tempting to get out on the bike cos I've only just got it. But, yes, it's stopping me at work - teaching kids how to fix bikes!!

Its cos your too big for mod dannnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :P go stock :D

Is that right then - that bigger heavier riders are better off stock? Or are you just teasing?

Hey I've just read this on the BBC Scotland article about Danny Megaskill's video and notice the quote below in light of my aching wrist after my first day of trials riding>

You're going to be using muscles you've never used before, so they're understandably going to be a bit arsey with you! Having said that though, tweaking your setup makes a massive, massive difference. The angle your levers and bars are at can make a huge difference to your comfort when you ride - if your levers are too horizontal or too vertical they can stress your wrists, and if your bars are at a bit of a fruity angle they can tweak your wrists too. Just take a 5mm (or whatever you need) out with you and give it a tweak as you ride until you get a setup you're happy and comfortable with.

Is that right then - that bigger heavier riders are better off stock? Or are you just teasing?

A general rule would say, if you're a tall rider you'll be more comfortable on a stock.

That's not to say it's true in your case though, or anyone else's, necessarily.

Lately I've been popping ibuprofen for my back before every ride....

Today it got to the point where I took one during the actual ride, I really need to go see a doctor about it to be honest...

x

high bb and low front end ruins your back thats all i can say

high bb and low front end ruins your back thats all i can say

Yeah that's what I thought... Got a new frame this week anyways so shouldn't have no more problems.

Doctor said to just rest it for a week or something and I'll be orite, and to keep taking ibuprofen and paracetamol before every ride, and during if I need to.

xxx