Chernobyl Ride - Trialparts.Net

uldis

Stood on top of a granite batholithe or outcrop like dartmoor, the lakes, the peaks, most of wales and scotland you are exposed to more radiation then in a nuclear submarine (fact) The ground around chernobyl is contaminated, but as someone correctly said, its the dust or gas that's deadly. The blast cloud swept over most of western europe after the explosion, so the ground is contaminated in lots of places. However most of the solid debris was cleared up as part of a big clean up operation, so unless you're very unlucky and inhaled airborne radioactive material or were exposed to the radiation over a long period of time you're relatively safe.

It's also worth remembering the area evacuated was really big compared to the blast radius. It looks like they were right on the edge of the evacuation zone so whats to say a fence makes everything ok one side and deadly the other??

Edit: Fantastic vid, the taps and drops were huge, and the super steep hook was class. Brilliant edit as well guys, top notch!

Edited by shamus

There's a very interesting blog by some guy that got proper permission to ride his motorbike around Chernobyl. He carries a Geiger counter or whatever around at all times to stay safe and he says the levels can go from safe to deadly within a matter of feet. And he says that the roads and concrete is safe, however the grassy areas are still highly dangerous, so even when riding on the road, he makes an effort to stay away from the grass at the side of the road. It's that that makes me skeptical about the opening section of the video with the cranes and such, although like you said, it could be that they are on the very edge of the closed zone which is presumably far safer than the centre of Chernobyl itself.

I guess the epic thing about this vid for us the viewer, is the idea of riding an entire town free from local authority with everything at your disposal to build on. And i guess the errie thing about that place is the fact that there is no life living there what so ever, not even the rats stand a chance if the soil is still radioactive. again this vid makes me think of Will Smith in 'I am Legend'.

I probably will destroy all Your expectations but place is no Chernobyl but industrial area os Small Latvia`s town.

Nice riding anyway and very good promotion of video to think that video is captured in are of nuclear disaster!

After Latvia regained freedom in 1990ies there are lot of places like this to ride!

I probably will destroy all Your expectations but place is no Chernobyl but industrial area os Small Latvia`s town.

Nice riding anyway and very good promotion of video to think that video is captured in are of nuclear disaster!

After Latvia regained freedom in 1990ies there are lot of places like this to ride!

Ahhhh, you guys had us going as well!

We just wanted to make similar atmosphere to Chernobyl and it looks like we have made it. It was interesting to read replies about radiation etc. ;D Thank you all for comments guys. :)

Edited by uldis