Stock Onza Comp Freewheel Problems.

Matilda

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have just purchased a stock 2009 Onza Comp.

I bought the bike through mail order so taking it back is both tricky and pricey. I figure, it may be cheaper to check out some advice before I ship it back.

I'm new to having a freewheel... Should my pedals turn by themselves when the rear wheel turns? I thought it should not... but mine does.

Also, the freewheel is making a crunching noise when I pedal. It doesnt sound healthy, and has definately got worse.

Does anyone have any advice? Please?! Also, if anyone rides trials in West Norfolk, let me know!!

Thanks for your help.

the pedals going round is nothing to worry about, i think its just how tight the bottom bracket bearing are? this happens on my zoo, and its happened on my zhi, and on my old onza.

the crunching noise... are you sure its not because your chain is tight?

hope this helped (Y)

the cranks will spin if you run a front freewheel, the crunching will be your freewheel skipping the standard onza's have tensile 60 engagement freewheels, a lot of them skip as most of them can be crap

Not at all true. I've owned 2 and not had any problems with either of them. All you have to do it service it regualary.

isnt a onza comp a mod? :giggle:

Pretty sure he means he's bought it new and unmodified.

My cranks went round when I wheeled my bike about with my last freewheel, I saw it as a good sign really, because it shows that the springs on the pawls in the freewheel are nice and strong as they are rubbing the ratchet mechanism in the FW hard enough to cause it to catch a little.

Stemming further from that, it also sorta shows that your BB bearings are doing good, because they're not causing enough friction to stop the cranks going round.

Most people won't get my logic here to be honest, but it makes sense.

As for the crunching, might be your chain is too tight or your chainline is a bit off.

If your chainline is off, the chain is trying to pull to one side and skip off the teeth of the freewheel and will be struggling to engage as you pedal, have a look at that too

Thanks for your help guys. The chain is not too tight, in fact... I really need to buy a chain protector for my frame.

The crunching noise is coming from within the mechanism itself. It sounds really loud, and it sounds bad. People seem to look at it as I ride buy, it sounds broken.

It also happens if I back pedal.

What's the point of the front freewheel if the pedals go round still?

Do we think it should be looked at professionally then? Thank you for all your advice!

Thanks for your help guys. The chain is not too tight, in fact... I really need to buy a chain protector for my frame.

The crunching noise is coming from within the mechanism itself. It sounds really loud, and it sounds bad. People seem to look at it as I ride buy, it sounds broken.

It also happens if I back pedal.

What's the point of the front freewheel if the pedals go round still?

Do we think it should be looked at professionally then? Thank you for all your advice!

If I were you I'd either strip the freewheel down myself and give it a good clean out/degrease or if your not confident enough yourself or dont have the tools take it to your local bike shop.