First Bike

Hey all

First post so here goes, I am looking at buying myself a trials specific bike. After getting into the sport on my 26" single-speed mountain bike due to watching some Macaskill videos, the time has come to get myself a proper bike. I think i will go for a mod as i like the feel of my mates. My question is which one is recommended by the people. I have a budget of up to around 500 quid, and I want to buy new as it would be a long term project to upgrade the bike as time passes. Had a quick look on Tartybikes and like the look of the onza pro or the yaabaa 549. What are these like, and are there any others worth considering for that price.

Many thanks

James

If I were you I'd probably go for the Onza Comp 2009 from tartybikes.

Had a look at the Yaabaa an the 2010 Onza Pro and reckon you'd be better with last years comp, could just be down to personal preference but I think that gives you the best opportunity for upgrading various bits over the other 2 whilst retaining a good standard of parts to start with.

All depends if you can stretch the budget to cover though!

Onza Comp 2009

Hi there again

Is there much difference in spec between the pro and the comp. I see the comp has magura hydraulic rims whereas the pro has mechanical discs. Does one offer any advantage over the other in terms of efficiency, maintenance, reliability etc?

Thanks

James

The brakes are really the main difference other than the alloy the frames are made from.

I personally would pick the 2009 model.

From my experience reading on here and riding myself I find a magura on the rear with a hope hydraulic disc on the front gives the best braking performance, others may disagree but thats just my opinion.

Now if you get the 2009 model I would think you have the better setup, not only performance wise but also for upgrading.

It's hard to put it in words and keep it simple, my only concern is the Onza cable discs as I've never heard from anyone who runs them so can't comment on how well they perform.

Edited by isitafox

Ill give them a ring in the morning and see. I was thinking of getting the pro and upgrading the forks after a few months to a set of Neon Curved Blades2010 as seen here My link, is this advisable, as it would mean i could then upgrade to some hydraulics at the same time. I prefer the look of the pro, but am unsure as to whether its worth going for the better model statistically or aesthetically.

Thanks anyway

James

Ill give them a ring in the morning and see. I was thinking of getting the pro and upgrading the forks after a few months to a set of Neon Curved Blades2010 as seen here My link, is this advisable, as it would mean i could then upgrade to some hydraulics at the same time. I prefer the look of the pro, but am unsure as to whether its worth going for the better model statistically or aesthetically.

Thanks anyway

James

Well statistically doing that would mean you've just spent £170 more than the comp for basically the same spec.

Have you had a search on here to see if anyone's got either of them and commented on how they ride?

Comp 2009

Onza Pro 2010

Edited by isitafox

OK it looks like the pro has more good reviews compared to the bird, but the comp is the one to go for. Thanks for that.

One last question and then I'm out of your hair, are there any other trials bike shops online that are reputable, as Tartybikes is the only one I know

Thanks again

James

OK it looks like the pro has more good reviews compared to the bird, but the comp is the one to go for. Thanks for that.

One last question and then I'm out of your hair, are there any other trials bike shops online that are reputable, as Tartybikes is the only one I know

Thanks again

James

Just not trials uk (Y)

This is true, to be honest I've only dealt with tarty as they tend to give great service and advice!

I can agree with that as I have used them for bits for my singlespeed and the parcels always arrived next day in great condition.

Thanks all

James