Lazy Hs33 Cylinder

arw_86

ive read a few threads on this problem but im still a bit unsure.

Basically one pad comes out perfectly when i squeeze the lever (the brake isnt fitted yet as i got it in the post of a member on tf) but the other only comes out like 2mm. Ive tried the gettin the piston out to the max and cleaning it an putting oil on the piston then pumping it but it hasnt seemed to help much. I have also unwoung the TPA all the way to the minimum which didnt make any difference either

one other thing to note is the lazy piston doesnt react as fast as the good piston, so only starts moving a third of the way into the lever pull. Do you think this is due to air or just because my cylinder is dirty? As ive tried cleaning at that hasnt solved it and the other pad moves perfect which makes me think its not needing a bleed what other options do i have?

thanks

If its currently bled with water, try emptying it and bleeding with oil; then rebleed it with water. Dont forget that the insides of the pistons need lubricating aswell and the seal on the outside is just a dust wiper seal. It only needs a tiny amount of corrosion/limescale to stop it working properly and oiling the wiper seal on its own is only solving part of the problem.

I wouldnt worry too much about getting all of the oil out when you rebleed, whilst they wont mix, it shouldnt cause any problems; if anything it will help to keep alittle lubrication in there :)

Edited by forteh

cheers lads,

when u say take the piston off, you do mean the whole casing (so disconnect the 2 tubes basically) or do u literally pull the black piston itself completly out? (wont that break the brake?)

i think you mean the first one so ill try that, clean it out, cover it in oil, re-fit it and poss do the same with the other and the crossover. then do it all up and do a bath bleed using mr revolvers handy guide.

fingers crossed - ive been havin a mare with brakes lately!

P.S- random question, im a fire fitter i use a lot of 8mm copper tubing, if i cut short pieces of it and use them as spacers u think they will squash? I wanna use them to space up my booster i wanna fit. I know copper is soft but a short length is surely strong enough? thoughts please

Edited by arw_86

If you cant syringe bleed it then take both hoses off, blow the water out and put a couple of drops of oil in there, pump the piston in and out and that should get the oil around the inside of the seals; put it back together and rebleed as you want :)

If its 8mm OD then you should be able to use some depending on the wall thickness, Im guessing its going to be 1.5mm or there abouts; I dont see why it wouldnt work.

Edited by forteh

so happy now i thought i wasent going to be able to ride for a while but now can.

I had sticky pistons and the lever wasent even working properly.

I bled it loads of times about 20!

was still nothing no improvement or anything

I then added abit of cooking oil to the syringe about 20ml

bled it

then bled it with water and now my brake is amazing

Thanks

thanks everyone!

i now have myself an awesome rear brake!

i did however have to change the piston in the end as it just didnt feel as smooth as another one i had, but i strangely enjoyed myself in the garage taking everything apart, removing and replacing the TPA, oiling all the pistons as instructed, reassembling, and bleeding it in the sink. This stuff never goes to plan for me and for a change it did! even managed to get an old booster on aswell.

i appreciate your help :)

Edited by arw_86

So what did you do exactly?

basically took the brake apart. Replaced the TPA and cleaned and oiled it all (as the old metal parts thread was fooooooked but the red plastic was fine!?) Took both pistons off, cleaned and oiled them both inside and out like forteh suggested. However the dodgy one was alot better but still not as smooth feeling as the other so i grabbed and old brake i had lying around with a broken lever housing and used a piston off that (cleaned and oiled all that too) then put it all back together (i have braided hoses - had a bit of trouble with them, getting them to be tight and to have the pistons facing each other) then did the bath bleed using revolvers video.

Then fitting it wanted to fit an old echo 2 bolt booster so i cut down a bolt as it i was too long, and the ones i used previous were too short and used copper tubing as spacers however looking high and low i could not find another bolt quite long enough to get a satisfactory grip on the thread of the mount. so i cut off a slither off the booster that was fouling the tubing on the piston and refitted it without the spacers.

it all went together real smooth and set up lovely. Wound the TPA out a smidge now its pretty solid and looking pretty slick!

id have had no chance without the tips here and revolvers video.

ive learnt alot today about maguras! enjoyed myself and also pretty chuffed :)

now i just need to get either an olived tube to 05 lever fitting or a barbed one and the front brake is sorted 2.

just majorly glad to have got rid of the echo sl lever! couldnt get on with that at all, so if anyone wants one you can have it cheap

Edited by arw_86