Complete And Utter N00B ^^ - Brand New To Trials Biking

Shinobi911

Hey everyone :turned:

Brand new to trials biking, not even bought a bike yet, just starting to look into it.

Would really appreciate any advice/basic information that you think would be useful for someone in my position (which bike/type/where etc).

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Hey bro, Kia Ora from NZ and all that crap!

Nah, what kind of bike do you ride? e.g BMX or Jump bike etc...

That will help to judge what bike for you!

Hey, hmmm I do go mountain biking with my friend, but never really tried jump biking or BMX's :$

I have looked at the Onza's and read reviews about them online. It would seem they are the best bet for a fairly cheap beginners trials bike, agree? I was thinking of trying to get a Rip.

I have seen some other people talking about height etc. I am 6ft 2" there abouts. Will that affect which bike I should get?

Hey, hmmm I do go mountain biking with my friend, but never really tried jump biking or BMX's blushing.gif

I have looked at the Onza's and read reviews about them online. It would seem they are the best bet for a fairly cheap beginners trials bike, agree? I was thinking of trying to get a Rip.

I have seen some other people talking about height etc. I am 6ft 2" there abouts. Will that affect which bike I should get?

You're best starting on a 20", probably an onza for your first bike but don't get a rip! The rear wheels on the rip are 20" compared to 99% of other mod bikes which run 19" rear wheels which make it extremely hard if you want to keep the bike and upgrade it!

How much money you lookin at splashing out on your first bike?

You're best starting on a 20", probably an onza for your first bike but don't get a rip! The rear wheels on the rip are 20" compared to 99% of other mod bikes which run 19" rear wheels which make it extremely hard if you want to keep the bike and upgrade it!

How much money you lookin at splashing out on your first bike?

Okay awesome, maybe the Bird? It's a bit more expensive but has a front disc brake (if my memory serves me right) etc.

I will probs have about £400ish to splash (summer job for the win) will that be enough for an acceptable beginners bike?

Height dont matter, im 6'4" and rided a mod. dont let people tell you itr shouldnt be done.

Ahh okay, thanks alot mate :)

Edited by Shinobi911

if you have £400 then get something second-hand for that money because you will get a much higher spec bike. if you want a onza bird you can get them on ebay that are mint with a couple scratches for much less that the original price

This man speaks the truth, with £400 to spend you could easily get decent spec bike 2nd hand.

Go for it.

This man speaks the truth, with £400 to spend you could easily get decent spec bike 2nd hand.

Go for it.

But for starting out, do I need a higher spec one? Or should I get an Onza second hand and then learn on that, and if/when the time comes, upgrade?

But for starting out, do I need a higher spec one? Or should I get an Onza second hand and then learn on that, and if/when the time comes, upgrade?

if your not sure you will like it get a cheaper bike like a onza t bird/t pro for a cheaper price then upgrade to a decent spec bike when you get good at trials. remember for begginers things will get scratched and damaged.

if your not sure you will like it get a cheaper bike like a onza t bird/t pro for a cheaper price then upgrade to a decent spec bike when you get good at trials. remember for begginers things will get scratched and damaged.

In the forum's opinion, is the Pro worth the extra money? I know it has two disc brakes not just one etc, and I love the baby blue paint job, but what about the technical side? I don't really understand that yet ^^

Gotta say personally I would go for a 20" Da Bomb for your first one.

Just standard V brakes but make sure you get some good pads, Phat ones are decent ones I would say.

Plus they are relatively cheap.

So if you break one, just buy another you could probably buy 5-6-7 bikes with the £400 budget.

And won't be worried about scratching or breaking your only pride and joy as youll just be able to buy another one.

Gotta say personally I would go for a 20" Da Bomb for your first one.

Just standard V brakes but make sure you get some good pads, Phat ones are decent ones I would say.

Plus they are relatively cheap.

So if you break one, just buy another you could probably buy 5-6-7 bikes with the £400 budget.

And won't be worried about scratching or breaking your only pride and joy as youll just be able to buy another one.

Okay, tried searching for 20" Da Bomb on TartyBikes but couldn't find it, what's the brand?

And may I ask what you mean by pads?

Are V Brakes really good enough, I just read on a trials info website that breaking is a major part of trials biking, so wouldn't it be best to get disc breaks straight away?

I agree with the thought of not having to worry about scratching it though, which I undoubtedly would be if I bought a brand new Onza Pro.

No don't look on tarty for a Da Bomb, go on eBay mate, or just a general google search to find some for sale.

And yes brake pads if what I meant.

I have a very expensive Hope disc on the front of my bike, and a normal standard Vee on the back (with upgraded pads) and really, you can't tell the difference to be fair.

Even in the wet the pads grip as good as any disc ever will, hence why I am going out of my way to find a Vee adaptor for my new frame to fit the Vee back on instead of doing the other option and finding a magura.

Thats just my personal experience, and ultimately will work out cheaper for you.

And yes, I personally would never buy a brand new bike.

Be afraid to scratch or dent it.

In the forum's opinion, is the Pro worth the extra money? I know it has two disc brakes not just one etc, and I love the baby blue paint job, but what about the technical side? I don't really understand that yet ^^

YES i love mine its awesome well worth it

No don't look on tarty for a Da Bomb, go on eBay mate, or just a general google search to find some for sale.

And yes brake pads if what I meant.

I have a very expensive Hope disc on the front of my bike, and a normal standard Vee on the back (with upgraded pads) and really, you can't tell the difference to be fair.

Even in the wet the pads grip as good as any disc ever will, hence why I am going out of my way to find a Vee adaptor for my new frame to fit the Vee back on instead of doing the other option and finding a magura.

Thats just my personal experience, and ultimately will work out cheaper for you.

And yes, I personally would never buy a brand new bike.

Be afraid to scratch or dent it.

Okay, will do, thanks mate.

Which bike do you have? Mod or stock? How long you been riding?

The Onza Bird has a front disc brake but rear V brake, maybe I should consider that one as well.

YES i love mine its awesome well worth it

You got the 2010 one?

How long you had it for?

Where did you get it from?

:)

Its all right saying going for a da bomb and other cheap bikes but the ride experiance on them will be crap compared to what he could get with his budget.

If you got the money, buy the best second hand bike you can with it, at least if you dont like the sport your more likely to get most your money back and if you do love it, you got a good bike to advance on!

Things break in trials weather you get a da bomb or a Koxx!

hello mate, im new to trials aswell.. im in the middle of building my bike now (monty 221 pr) but soon after its finished im thinkin of upgrading to echo..

if i didnt have the bike i had now id love to buy this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Echo-Lite-short-trials-bike-20-inch-/150469496704?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2308ae4f80#ht_588wt_930, or if not id buy the frame an buy all the parts and build it my self to my own spec like how im doing the monty,

buy a frame an build your own m8.. put your own touch to it.. you might even have some fun doin it lol

Edited by monty madness

Hey, hmmm I do go mountain biking with my friend, but never really tried jump biking or BMX's :$

No man, onza's are fantastic starter bikes, but at the height you are you'll probably feel more comfy on a stock (26" if you never knew). Or maybe a 24" which is a very streety bike, can be used as bmx trials if that makes sense! If you'd like a 24" go for the onza zoot, heard good things about that.

edit: And welcome to Trials-Forum mate!

Kieran.

Okay, tried searching for 20" Da Bomb on TartyBikes but couldn't find it, what's the brand?

And may I ask what you mean by pads?

Are V Brakes really good enough, I just read on a trials info website that breaking is a major part of trials biking, so wouldn't it be best to get disc breaks straight away?

I agree with the thought of not having to worry about scratching it though, which I undoubtedly would be if I bought a brand new Onza Pro.

No, some vee brakes are immense. Don't go double disc unless you can get it really cheap.

Edited by modifiedridah2k9

i would start on a 20inch they are a bit easyer to jump and hop on to start with

Thanks mate, seen that a lot so think I will be following that advice! :)

hello mate, im new to trials aswell.. im in the middle of building my bike now (monty 221 pr) but soon after its finished im thinkin of upgrading to echo..

if i didnt have the bike i had now id love to buy this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Echo-Lite-short-trials-bike-20-inch-/150469496704?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2308ae4f80#ht_588wt_930, or if not id buy the frame an buy all the parts and build it my self to my own spec like how im doing the monty,

buy a frame an build your own m8.. put your own touch to it.. you might even have some fun doin it lol

What you're doing sounds awesome mate, seriously! I don't think I have the skills to build my own bike, maybe one day, but not yet ^^ Am very jealous that you can do that.

And dude, that Echo is gorgeous!

Why are you building one when you know you want to buy a different one later?

No man, onza's are fantastic starter bikes, but at the height you are you'll probably feel more comfy on a stock (26" if you never knew). Or maybe a 24" which is a very streety bike, can be used as bmx trials if that makes sense! If you'd like a 24" go for the onza zoot, heard good things about that.

edit: And welcome to Trials-Forum mate!

Kieran.

No, some vee brakes are immense. Don't go double disc unless you can get it really cheap.

Have read mixed responses about the height thing, but what about the fact that some people say it is easier to learn on a mod!?

Onza Zoot? Never heard of that, will look into it though. Can you ride stocks longer distances? That's one thing I have read about mods, you can't like ride them to the next village really, not made for that at all.

Its all right saying going for a da bomb and other cheap bikes but the ride experiance on them will be crap compared to what he could get with his budget.

If you got the money, buy the best second hand bike you can with it, at least if you dont like the sport your more likely to get most your money back and if you do love it, you got a good bike to advance on!

Things break in trials weather you get a da bomb or a Koxx!

Yeah, I get what you mean, I think i'll go to shops, give different mods and stocks a go, then try and get one I like second hand on ebay. But we'll see :) Thanks for your help mate