Chain Tension

rtfletcher

Hi guys,

just wondering if there is a way of converting my tensioner from tensioning the chain down, to tensioning the chain up (to get more teeth engaging the chain on the rear sprocket.

There is now more slack in the chain than when the pic was taken as i had a bigger front sprocket (24t) as i was waiting for my 22t to arrive.

any help appreciated,

Cheers

PS

Its made by superstar........................... :(

post-25876-023331900 1279786598_thumb.jp

Edited by rtfletcher

Hmm, are you happy with your gear ratio?...Light/hard enough for you?

I'm pretty sure you cant run that particular device so the chain is tensioned up the way. The only device ive seen that can do that is the DMR (or is it Surly? Cant remember)

The reason I ask about the ratio is, that if you have changed your front sprocket to a 22 tooth, you may find your gearing a little light now. If you cant take a couple of links out your chain to get better wrap, maybe using a smaller rear sprocket (possibly by just one tooth) to achieve a shorter chain will be easier - without it being too tight.

Edited by Ross McArthur

If that's an old chain, a new chain may help as it'll have stretched less. Something like a 510HX or 610HX will stretch less than most other chains out there so it'll hopefully keep it well tensioned for longer (Y)

The gearing is fine for me, i think its 22-18, but cant remember exactly,

yes the chain is an old one!!!! i put the bike together after buying frame and forks, and the rest is old bits and bobs from years of random bike bit accumilation!!!!

i suppose thr solution is to just buy a new chain!!! dam it......

cheers guys