Chris King Bmx Hubs

crispyboy

Hello everyone recently i have been having problems with freewheels skipping and breaking,so i thought about a rear freehub.

I am currently looking at the chris king bmx hub but all i have heard from people is that they arnt that good for the price and that they skip.

Im willing to may the odds for a hub which is going to last a very long time and do me well but not if its going to kill me by skipping alot.

Is it just the case of servicing them ?

Whos had one which has been bad or good

Thanks

Hello everyone recently i have been having problems with freewheels skipping and breaking,so i thought about a rear freehub.

I am currently looking at the chris king bmx hub but all i have heard from people is that they arnt that good for the price and that they skip.

Im willing to may the odds for a hub which is going to last a very long time and do me well but not if its going to kill me by skipping alot.

Is it just the case of servicing them ?

Whos had one which has been bad or good

Thanks

Which freewheels have you used.

dont get a king... my mates have had some and they skip all the time, serviced or not.

go for a lower engagment freewheel... a tensile 60 maybe... has bigger teeth for the prawls to bed into (Y)

Kings don't have pawls....

Get an SL.

Yeah they are good freewheels but my tr teeth snapped after a short while

That's one of the only ones I've heard of doing that. Like Adam said elsewhere - the first batch of SLs had over 3,000 freewheels on it. They're onto the second batch now. That's 3,000 freewheels and in person and online I've seen/heard of a total of 5 breaking. 5 out of 3,000 is pretty amazing.

Long story short: Get an SL.

Kings don't have pawls....

Get an SL.

i know they dont :huh: im not dumb

i know kings inside and out!

as i was saying... if he buys freewheels and they skip (different convo to the king)... the more engagement points they have, means the teeth are smaller for the prawls to grab onto.

therefore if he buys a lower engagment freewheel, the teeth are bigger, so more for the prawls to bed into.

Edited by Sam Styles

Not always the case, and in - for example - the TR and SL freewheels it isn't. The TR has 6 pawls (2 sets of 3) and the SL has 9 pawls (3 sets of 3), so strength wise they're essentially the same.

fair point.

i was going for the more simpler type of freewheel lol

Trying to argue that people should listen to your (incorrect) knowledge of freewheels whilst constantly referring to their "prawls" doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

i wasnt arguing that people should listen to me. i was giving my opinon, my point of view.

prawls... now thats just nit picking, so what i cant spell. take the piss out of a person in a wheelchair, its the same principle.

the experiance i have had with freewheels and cassets are what my opinion is based on.

i was messing around with an echo proto-type freewheel, and the teeth were so small to increase the amount of engagments, that it skipped constantly.

if im not aloud to express my point of view and experiance... then neither should you.

Whoa there, easy tiger! It's a joke dude, chilllllllllll...

Did you seriously just drop this one though?!

looks like it now doesnt it.

and im sorry if i came off, a bit f**ked off.... ive been on the phone with some indian (i would use other words :shifty: ) from sony for and hour and a half...

I don't get how it can "completely fall apart" unless you mean you snapped the outer shell? The lockring's crank-side of the freewheel so there's pretty much no way it can just 'fall apart'...

so the outershell and all the insides falling out dosent mean,it fell apart ?

If you read my post I didn't say that it didn't, I just didn't understand how in that without the outer shell snapping there's pretty much no way it can do, hence me asking if you had snapped the outer shell.

Did your freewheel break in the same way that you've got a Magura with a Hope lever on it, did a bath bleed with Monty oil and have custom ti levers?

If you read my post I didn't say that it didn't, I just didn't understand how in that without the outer shell snapping there's pretty much no way it can do, hence me asking if you had snapped the outer shell.

Did your freewheel break in the same way that you've got a Magura with a Hope lever on it, did a bath bleed with Monty oil and have custom ti levers?

Woops forgot to mention that.

and whats the last sentence all about ?