Advice On Laptop

isitafox

Right, I find myself to be pretty clued up when it comes to computers and stuff but just want to double check as I'm taking my sis in law to get a new laptop tomorrow and don't wanna burn a load of cash she doesn't need to!

She's currently got a Dell inspiron, 1.5gb ram, 80 gb HD, Intel processor (not sure how fast) which her and her 2 sisters have all been using for the last 5 years or so and it's basically knackered. Had so much stuff saved, deleted, installed, removed over the years it's about to die completely. Every time I go on it there tends to be messages saying there's under 200mb of hd space left as it's loaded with photo's and her schoolwork files and progs and itunes for her sister.

Anyway, she wants something decent but relatively cheap so I've come up with this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-c650-1cp-06525285-pdt.html.

It's gonna be used for her to sort her school stuff on as she's a teacher and for her sister and anyone else really to do any typing, printing, etc.

I also think she should get an external hard drive, around 250gb to save all her photo's on and then I'll do a clean install of XP on the old laptop and maybe stick the ram upto 2gb purely for using itunes and browsing the net.

Does this sound like a good idea or should I go for a different solution??

Right, I find myself to be pretty clued up when it comes to computers and stuff but just want to double check as I'm taking my sis in law to get a new laptop tomorrow and don't wanna burn a load of cash she doesn't need to!

She's currently got a Dell inspiron, 1.5gb ram, 80 gb HD, Intel processor (not sure how fast) which her and her 2 sisters have all been using for the last 5 years or so and it's basically knackered. Had so much stuff saved, deleted, installed, removed over the years it's about to die completely. Every time I go on it there tends to be messages saying there's under 200mb of hd space left as it's loaded with photo's and her schoolwork files and progs and itunes for her sister.

Anyway, she wants something decent but relatively cheap so I've come up with this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-c650-1cp-06525285-pdt.html.

It's gonna be used for her to sort her school stuff on as she's a teacher and for her sister and anyone else really to do any typing, printing, etc.

I also think she should get an external hard drive, around 250gb to save all her photo's on and then I'll do a clean install of XP on the old laptop and maybe stick the ram upto 2gb purely for using itunes and browsing the net.

Does this sound like a good idea or should I go for a different solution??

Personally I'd say buy a new one, whether that Currys one of not is not my forte, and fix up the other one as you mentioned. But then give the old one to the sister to fill with whatever crap and let your sister in law keep the new one nice and fresh - she can then rest assured that noone else is f**king up her nice new machine...