Slick Try All

Ashes

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should i sand my tire so that it is bald?

• yes
    • no

Hey all ........... I've just brought a new bike and its coming with a 2 tires, one monty eagle claw in good condition and another which is a try all tyre (Both are rear) The monty has a very good amount of tread left on it however the try all does not.

What im wondering is is it worth cutting the tread of the out side tyre which hasnt worn down as much as the tread in the centre of the tyre and then sanding down the tyre to make it exceedingly smooth.

I am also wondering what are the pro's and con's of doing this as im not to clued up on the whole concept.

The reason I am considering doing this is because in some photo's on the forum i have noticed a few bikes with this done and just wondered whether or not its worth doing.

Thanks

Ashes.

EDIT: I ride street mostly and my bike is a mod. (Y)

Edited by Ashes

I've herd they are good in the dry, but terrible in the wet. Thats all I know.. sorry.

Thanks for the reply :D if it rained though i suppose i could also swap itover quickly to the monty .... as long as im riding at my house though haha otherwise im F*^KED

Ashes.

Ive heard something along those lines but i wasnt sure if it was true or not.

there would be more of the tyre on the rail, therefor an increased surface area?

just a thought?

ive been thinking about "slicking" my try all tyre too as my tread is nearly all gone in the middle

there would be more of the tyre on the rail, therefor an increased surface area?

just a thought?

ive been thinking about "slicking" my try all tyre too as my tread is nearly all gone in the middle

surely they would be less grippy because once you go off dead centre it would be sloping so more likely to slip, I ride a slick cc and on a smooth slightly dirty concrete slope yesterday it slid out on me when i tried to push of my bike to jump off...... it hurt (N)

No point really. Why do that when you can just keep one with tread that will work, wet or dry?

No point really. Why do that when you can just keep one with tread that will work, wet or dry?

+1

Also i have had slicks on mod and stock , theyre less grippy , weigh less ;) theyre alot more bouncy and unstable , they look 'cool'

Its up to you to be honest , I enjoy riding slicks to be honest you roll longer (Y) and its harder to control on your rear wheel .

Dont sand it wont do anything , Put in on a wheel pump it up hard and carefully cut with a stanley or sharp knife . You could angle grind it if you dont mind smoke ha .

There are no pro's by using a completely bald smooth tire unless all you're going to do is rider in an indoor skate park or something. The tread on tires helps grip even on smooth surfaces and rails.

+1

Also i have had slicks on mod and stock , theyre less grippy , weigh less ;) theyre alot more bouncy and unstable , they look 'cool'

Its up to you to be honest , I enjoy riding slicks to be honest you roll longer (Y) and its harder to control on your rear wheel .

Dont sand it wont do anything , Put in on a wheel pump it up hard and carefully cut with a stanley or sharp knife . You could angle grind it if you dont mind smoke ha .

No relevence to your post, but where abouts in Hampshire are you from ?.....................................................................................