Trick Help Please!

Grant-MacD

Hey once again :P

I'm having trouble with a few trics. These are:

1. Gap Ups

2.Sidehops!

3.Confidence (not really a trick, but need to boost it)

So lets start with Gap ups. In our street, all the riders call pedal kicks, gaps. So, has anybody got tips for getting higher than 2+1/2 pallets, as i can not get much higher than that.

Secondly, Sidehops. Very hard to learn. I go so my foot forward is on the opposite side of the wall. I can barely do 2 pallets, so how do i get vhigher, my mate keeps saying he is gonna teach me but forgets lol.

Lastly, confidence. Please.. Dont laugh... i was hessitating to go off 2 pallets after 3 months riding. I have done 5 pallets, but for some reason i wouldnt go off this wall, i did eventualy but i need help. How do you push yourself to your limits? Everytime i fall, i would never try that wall again, my mates try to get me to do it, and eventually get really annoyed and angry because I will not go off small things, and admitidley (sp?) I used to be scared of nothing.

Please help, and thanks ALOT if you do.

Grant.

It really comes down to practise. Make sure your comfortable on the bike, so that trackstands come easily. Build you confidence back hopping and just doing wheel pivots on curbs just so that your overall bike control increases.

To go bigger, make sure your really kicking the pedals, they'll give you the majority of the lift and the harder you kick the higher/further you'll go. Also, a bit more so for sidehops, remember to preload. Make your body go low so that you spring up, hopefully bringing the bike with you.

And try and be relaxed, it's much more difficult to ride when your tense. Be all loosy goosey

If I fall, I tend to give it one more go, and then if not I go away for two weeks or so trying other stuff and then come back to it. Has worked for me so far. Can't really help with gaps and sidehops as I can't do them myself (N) (please don't laugh). Just keep tryng and gradually built it up, don't take to muck of a step at a time, just keep the progression going in small increments.

Hope I helped

James

• 2 months later...

for your gaps man, start by trackstanding then lean back then kick your pedals and lean forwards quickly and lift up your handlebars. you have to do a couple of things at once here though, its about shifting your weight and kicking and lifting up your handlebars at the same time. you have to use your bodies momentum to make you go a greater distance. As for your sidehops is basically the same principle. For your confidance i guess its just what your comfortable with, stick to what you know and get that down then move onto higher ledges, bigger gaps.

If you fall, laugh it off :) Always helps with me. Why keep thinking about it when it's happened, just laugh a bit and try it again and keep trying.

For confidence, it's all about trying new stuff, getting gradually bigger and bigger etc :)

For gap ups, try and lift the bike up as much as you can at the peak of the kick-hop, by extending your arms.