New To Trials

Wingerz

It's kind of a weird question. Progression is about practise, practise, commitment and did I mention practise? Watch a lot of videos on technique, get your bike, go outside your house and practise basics until you've got them without thinking. Trackstands - being holding your bike upright, still on both wheels, mastering the basics is the primary thing that leads to progression.

I havn't riden a bike for nearly 2 years, im looking for a new hoby/sport and i thought trials looked pretty fun, i was wondering how long it will take me to get okay and just comfortable with the basics if i practiced two/thee times a week for about an hour each time?

mate i took up trials last november, took alot of practice, and then some more, but its all about enjoying it, i'm not that good but doing gaps, rear hops, the more you learn the better it gets, i,m 29 if i can anyone can, good luck mate

Well, I got my first bike about one year ago. I've been riding different bikes all of my life, so I soon felt comfortable riding the long, stretchy bike.

Took me a week or two to get the pedal kicks going, and that's really when the fun begins. I feel it's very important to feel comfortable on the bike. Everything works out better then.

If you go angry after failing several times, nothing will come, and you'll just grow tired.

In the end though, everyone progresses differently. The guy I'm riding with, who learned me the basics, I've passed by miles now. But that's much because he's a pussy :giggle:

• 1 month later...

As all the other guys have said it is just lots of practice.

I have been riding for 7 months now and i have just got my head round most of the basics.

What really helped me was a DVD i got called 'Mastering the art of trials by Ryan Leech' - it brilliant, break downs or every technique beginner to advanced,

Mastering the art of trials - All the sections of the DVD are on YouTube

Hope it helps.

Edited by Drummer man

I have been riding for 7 months now and i have just got my head round most of the basics.

What really helped me was a DVD i got called 'Mastering the art of trials by Ryan Leech' - it brilliant, break downs or every technique beginner to advanced,

Hope it helps.

thank you drummer man i saw one of those ages ago and couldn't remember what it was called.

believe me it helps so much with other styles of riding

. ive had my trials bike for 2months now and already i have noticed a difference in my downhilling

pretty much the same with me!

Haven't been on me bike for a long time and fancied something a bit different (going into it a tad naive as usual)

I can see myself steadily improving which is pushing me forward, the only down side is that i live in the country so don't have many people around here on trials bikes...

I would say practising at the amount you said it may take between 3 and 6 months to get the basics dialled. But as im sure others have mentioned it depends a lot on whether you're going to ride stock or mod, street or natural and how driven / enthusiastic you are to learn.

Hope it helps.

I've just got that DVD it looks like the quick snap i caught on youtube was decent enough & thought that might help. I'm 28 & i'm waiting for my bike to arrive i choose trials because i used to ride the motorbike version & i got half decent nothing heavy i didnt rock hope the bike wasnt good enough but enjoyed it. I race speedway bikes in the summer months but i cannot handle having nothing to do in winter so decided to take up trials. I'm hoping that the tuiton on the dvd will help me. I'm trying to find some riders local so i can possibly ride with them & learn i find if your in a group it eggs you on to do better. I hope i can pick up the sport i've been walking around & there ar plenty of places to ride in town.

Simon.