Quick Fix Required For Hs33- Help!

TrialsMan Dan

Reet chaps, the past week or so ive noticed my maggie has been developing slightly sticky piston, (i.e. not returning as fast when i let go of the lever). It started on the drive-side of the brake and was dragging a bit so i readjusted the cylinder farther out to avoid this, and now the non-drive side piston is sticky. Is there a quick, short term way of solving the sticky piston? I am riding tommorow, and if im honest its a bit of a pain in the bumhole :lol:. The lever feel itself is fine just pressing it, locks solid, no spongey feel but when lurching for example it fells really mushy and im not getting a decent bite and when lurch i can feel the pad still dragging slighlty when i let go of the lever to pedal. I should point out that i hardly ever ride in the rain and its been a fairly dry summer, so would it just be drying up inside thats causing the sticky piston?

Any help much appreciated :)

Dan

Reet chaps, the past week or so ive noticed my maggie has been developing slightly sticky piston, (i.e. not returning as fast when i let go of the lever). It started on the drive-side of the brake and was dragging a bit so i readjusted the cylinder farther out to avoid this, and now the non-drive side piston is sticky. Is there a quick, short term way of solving the sticky piston? I am riding tommorow, and if im honest its a bit of a pain in the bumhole :lol:. The lever feel itself is fine just pressing it, locks solid, no spongey feel but when lurching for example it fells really mushy and im not getting a decent bite and when lurch i can feel the pad still dragging slighlty when i let go of the lever to pedal. I should point out that i hardly ever ride in the rain and its been a fairly dry summer, so would it just be drying up inside thats causing the sticky piston?

Any help much appreciated :)

Dan

Remove the offendening cylinder remove piston and thouroughly clean o ring and cylinder bore and refit, bleed it on water. JOB DONE!

Shouldn't take any longer than 30mins

If youve got it water bled, give it a bleed with oil, pump the brake a few times till pistons stop sticking and then bleed through again with water again. The pistons/seals arent designed to be lubricated with water so it helps to put some oil into the system occasionally :)

thanks for all the help guys, i notice that on the bike the piston is slightly sticky but when i removed the cylinder all seemed fine, i put it back together and all seems to be okay for the moment, but i'll keep an eye on it (Y) im using an oil bleed, so the sticky piston being caused by using a water bleed is out of the question. If i were to use the wee tip as matt said, i would have to use magura oil yes? (royal blood or something isnt it?)

Dan

If youre already using oil then its unlikely to be seals sticking unless theyre really filthy. Take the pads off and clean around the piston with an old toothbrush and some gt85 or similar, if that doesnt help, are you overtightening the mounts and squashing the cylinder slightly? Not sure if this is possible with the plastic clips fitted though.