London Help!?!

Nick Melson

Right its the misses 18th birthday and were going to london for the weekend from thursday the 30th to stay 3 night's.

Were having trouble finding a hotel everything we have found is either way to expensive or far away which will cost us a bomb in trains and bus's to get anywhere.

We've stopped looking at hotels n now looking at b&b's but not many advertise online so any know of any cheap places..

Also what's to do in london [we know most of the ''tourist'' stuff]

Good places to eat etc...

Any help would be amazing.

Managed to get one on bethnal green :)

Printed a few 2for1 tickets off also.

Anymore recommendations would be ace.

I'm pretty sure fabric is closed now or is going to soon.

A walk along south bank when its gone dark can be quite romantic. Shoreditch is a decent place to get a drink and is pretty fun and is damn near bethnal green.

Brick lane on a sunday is quite an experience and is worth seeing. Tate modern is a great place to visit and is free. The V&A is amazing to visit. It depends on what your interests are, My interests are art and design so my suggestions centre around that, if that's not your thing then you might not want to take my suggestions!

Whatever you do, wherever you go you'll find something to do and should never be bored.

A walk along south bank when its gone dark can be quite romantic. Shoreditch is a decent place to get a drink and is pretty fun and is damn near bethnal green.

Brick lane on a sunday is quite an experience and is worth seeing. Tate modern is a great place to visit and is free. The V&A is amazing to visit. It depends on what your interests are, My interests are art and design so my suggestions centre around that, if that's not your thing then you might not want to take my suggestions!

Whatever you do, wherever you go you'll find something to do and should never be bored.

Well I'm going on Friday so I hope not...

I'll have to agree with the rest of the stuff you said.

Best meal I could ever ask for in London for under a fiver is the barbecue under the arch of the truman brewery on Brick Lane. £4.50 for whatever kinda burger/platter/kebab you like, plus massive, well nice, potatoes, salad, bread etc. And it tastes unbelievable!

A nice walk is along Southbank eastbound, past the Design Museum (worth a look just for the gift shop at the front even if you're not into design), and snake through out of the tourist bits slightly to 'The Angel' pub (although a few roads on that walk can be a bit sketch so do it in the day) which brews all it's own beer and makes it's own wines, spirits soft drinks etc. As a result pints are around £2! Some generally really nice streets on that walk and is nice to eventually get into East London and out of the tourist trap slightly.

If you want nice restaurant food, there's a really nice fish restaurant called 'Livebait' on a road called the cut (pretty nice road/area anyways) just south of Waterloo, is pretty expensive though so check the menus first.

But yeah, I could name a load of clubs and stuff but if you don't like d&b, there's not much point. Not to mention a rave on your romantic weekend with the mrs probably wouldn't be the best shout.

It's not, it all sorted itself out.

You can do open bus tours which are pretty cliché, if your planning on it being a nice day buy a couple of tickets, their like 20quid compared to a 7.50 rail pass, but will drive you through all the "typical" torist'y joints in London, bus's come all the time like every 5 mins and its pretty cool, it can be as long or short as you want to make it, you can jump off at every stop or pick the places out you really want to visit, i.e. Hamleys, Southbank, blah blah blah, you get a free river boat to greenwhich which is pretty cool, lets you venture about without having to get on the underground.

Not saying it will be your cuppa tee but something to look up if your interested, think "the big red bus company" was the cheapest last time I did it.

You can do open bus tours which are pretty cliché, if your planning on it being a nice day buy a couple of tickets, their like 20quid compared to a 7.50 rail pass, but will drive you through all the "typical" torist'y joints in London, bus's come all the time like every 5 mins and its pretty cool, it can be as long or short as you want to make it, you can jump off at every stop or pick the places out you really want to visit, i.e. Hamleys, Southbank, blah blah blah, you get a free river boat to greenwhich which is pretty cool, lets you venture about without having to get on the underground.

Good shout even if you don't go with the bus. Is £6 per person or something and can jump on from London Bridge to Greenwich for the museum vibes if that's your thing, or if not just general nice park and nice area.

When I went to London I stayed in a comically terrible hotel. Honestly worth going just for the laugh. Cromwell Crown I think it was called (not to be confused with the nice Cromwell hotel.

Very cheap and you got your own shower.

Best meal I could ever ask for in London for under a fiver is the barbecue under the arch of the truman brewery on Brick Lane. £4.50 for whatever kinda burger/platter/kebab you like, plus massive, well nice, potatoes, salad, bread etc. And it tastes unbelievable!

YES! That is the bollocks.

Not really got much more to add as everyone's covered what i'd go for, but just wanted to vouch for how good that food is.

They don't do kebabs but on occasions they do a mixed grill for just over a fiver and that's pretty damn good. Also, there curry's are nice and good value. Cakes are good there also.....in general its a good place to get some honest, decent sized food for not much money.

I don't know if your much of a coffee fan but if you are....

Princi on Wardour Street is the best coffee you'll get in town.

Market House at Spitalfields market is good.

Or, one of the craziest, funnest, beautifulest, amzingest coffee shops/bar to go to is 'The Bridge' on Kingsland road in Shoreditch. Blink and you'll miss it, but if you do manage to finds it i'm sure you'll love it. The owner is a nice guy who drives a 1955 New York taxi cab!

Oh yeah, its also damn near bethnal green!

Market Wise:

Borough market near London Bridge is a great market for loads of nice food.

Portobello Road is good fun to have a look around.

Columbia Road market is a good place to pick up flowers but is open Sundays only but is very near you.

The Barbican (theatre/cinema/bar/coffee shop/art gallery) is a made place, the architecture is worth exploring, its also a site that was heavily bombed in WWII. It's a very interesting place to look around and is Vivienne Westwood's favourite place to visit in London!

And lets not forget some,e of the best places in London.....the parks!

Hyde park, Regent's park, Green Park and St. James's park are all very nice and again if you wish can be quite romantic to have a walk around - especially with the cold weather setting in.

Edited by Matthew62

• 4 weeks later...