Gearing

stuie

It will be a tiny bit harder to pedal.

A whole lot harder! Allot of people are picky between 18/15 and 18/16. I see no reason why 18/13 won't be ridable, especially if you aren't TGS. Though if you are or don't run a tensioners (snails) then you may run into some trouble.

[edit]

I mean if you have horizontal dropouts with just snails then you will possibly see a chain length issue without a halflink.

Edited by eskimo

A whole lot harder! Allot of people are picky between 18/15 and 18/16. I see no reason why 18/13 won't be ridable, especially if you aren't TGS. Though if you are or don't run a tensioners (snails) then you may run into some trouble.

[edit]

I mean if you have horizontal dropouts with just snails then you will possibly see a chain length issue without a halflink.

Hes running 16-13 ;)

16:13 works out slightly lighter than 18:15 with the same length cranks, I use 16:14 with 165 cranks and that gives equivalent of slightly harder gearing than 18:16 but lighter than 18:15 with 175.

To put a figure on gearing divide the big number by the small one.

so

18 divide by 16 = 1.125

18 by 15 = 1.2

16 by 14 = 1.142 (so is inbetween the two)

16 by 13 = 1.230 (so is slightly heavier than 18:15)

Assuming you are using the same cranks or least the same length cranks and the same chain or same type of chain (a different weight chain will affect the 'feel')

this should all help.

Sorry if I've rambled a little.