Stem Geometry

forteh

Can anyone offer advice on a stem query for me?

My bike is 1085wb, 72°ha, 385cs, +30bb, using trialtech low rise bars with the sport forged stem; Im just over 5'7".

I have difficulty lofting the front end for manuals/bunnyhops and wondering if having a shorter high rise stem is going to make it feel too weird? Thinking perhaps I should try a short trialtech high rise (110x25° as opposed 120x17°) that would shorten the cockpit by 15mm and raise the bars by 11mm. Given that I havent got a particularly high bb, how would this affect the way it rides? I could tip the bars back but I feel that I lose rear wheel control then, is a shorter stem going to do the same thing or do I just need to work at throwing more weight around in order to manual/bunnyhop?

Any thoughts would be kindly repaid in gold :)

If i remember rightly i used something around a 120x17 (if not exactly that) on my silver thing. I can't even remember the name of the bloody thing, time for lunch. But it was pretty much bang on that geo and it manualed to hop alright. You're about the same height as me. Also pump the rear tyre up a tad, this may help. I always found finding the front wheel was difficult for a while when changing stem. But if it's your only trick bike then you shouldn't have an issue with getting used to it.

[edit]

Thinking about it, 110 is probably a tad short with a long stock. I think it would be worse for finding your front wheel. I've always used big stems with stock.

Edited by eskimo

Cheers for that, I think Ill have to keep the stem as is and work on technique. I used to be able to manual for ages but since I only really ride the trials bike now its harder to practise at any possible moment. Im largely scared doing stuff to front wheel (think it relates to kissing a pallet hard about 6 years ago) but I am trying to learn :)

Sorry to jump on this but I struggle lifting the front as well sometimes which is why I bought a system ex obscene high rise stem from tartybikes.

Think the one I run is a 110 x 35 paired with some tensile 9d risers and I still find it hard to get the front up. Think my geo is 1085 377 72 +15, I'm 6'2" and can't manual for shit! Any ideas??

I just need to get the front wheel up for a few seconds, I can go straight to rear on my mod pretty easy on stuff upto about 3½' but if I attempt anything bigger than about 2' on my Control I usually end up burying the front wheel straight into it followed shortly by my face.

Just doesn't wanna lift!