Second Frame Build- Seventh And Final Update For A While

Rob Leech

Not argueing about it, just saying.

It may be to do with the thiness of the tubes also.

Anyway what rig you using to weld these frames?

What material is it? (as in grade)

what Rods you using?

what heat treatment process u gonna use?

nah, not saying you were like, you sound like a well educated fella.

What do you mean by rig? If you mean jig, just the one that i've made up like, pics are up at the start of the first post.

Material is 6082, mainly because it was easy to get hold of and a little bit cheaper than 6061, is also a little stronger once hardened.

Using 4043 rods, but think i'll move to 5356 in the future.

Not sure yet, im going to get in touch with a couple of heat treatment places that are in the area and see what they think would be best, but from the research that i've done, i think it'll be solution then artificial aging.

Cheers,

Josh.

nah, not saying you were like, you sound like a well educated fella.

What do you mean by rig? If you mean jig, just the one that i've made up like, pics are up at the start of the first post. ---------Welding device

Material is 6082, mainly because it was easy to get hold of and a little bit cheaper than 6061, is also a little stronger once hardened.

Using 4043 rods, but think i'll move to 5356 in the future.------------Higher silicone?

Not sure yet, im going to get in touch with a couple of heat treatment places that are in the area and see what they think would be best, but from the research that i've done, i think it'll be solution then artificial aging.---------------------------Solution heattreat at 540C/quench/age at 200ish C?

Cheers,

Josh.

Ahhh, TIG (Y) Parweld xti201 i think it is :S.

Higher in silicon, but also magnesium. Think it has a higher overall yield strength.

Beautiful, thats one thing that i had no idea about on this one :P thanks for that (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

Edit- i tell lies, lower in silicon, dosent flow as easily as 4043

I think that the welds on this also aren't going to like the anodising, but we'll see what happens with that.

Edited by Rob Leech