Fork Length Increase?

Miles Mallinson

I was wondering if it were possible to put a spacer underneath the crown race on my fork to make by bike a bit higher upfront, my current fork is 395mm axle to crown so if i put a 5mm or 10 mm spacer under the crown race it would make the front end higher, I'm not really sure it might weaken the fork.

this is my fork.

Identiti

I see your idea but no. Where the crown sits is a taper and a deliberate tight fit to stop it spinning. If you wacked a spacer on there youd lose that profile

Higher stem? Bars

I've got quite a high stack height already, the fork is pretty short, i think im gonna get a Echo Urban, it feels like most of the time my weight is on the front wheel and the headangle is pretty steep because of the short fork.

I've got quite a high stack height already, the fork is pretty short, i think im gonna get a Echo Urban, it feels like most of the time my weight is on the front wheel and the headangle is pretty steep because of the short fork.

Urbans aren't much longer though, I'd say you want at least 10mm extra if you want to notice any real difference. Trialtechs or the Because forks are both 410mm and should make the bike handle better. Trialtech forks made my bike ride so much better compared to Urbans, probably the best purchase I've ever made for my bike.

It is possible, and not a stupid idea at all!

All you'd need to do is measure up the taper on the forks, or take them to an engineers shop to measure them, to get a spacer lathed up. It would be a simple job with the measurements.

I don't think my forks have a tapered steerer it just had a think bit at the bottom by about 1mm for the crown race

My link

Urbans aren't much longer though, I'd say you want at least 10mm extra if you want to notice any real difference. Trialtechs or the Because forks are both 410mm and should make the bike handle better. Trialtech forks made my bike ride so much better compared to Urbans, probably the best purchase I've ever made for my bike.

i'm thinking about getting the because i've noticed that they have a thicker wall on the steerer tube does this mean i have to get a differetn size star nut

Urbans aren't much longer though...

...but if his current steerer tube's chopped, he could run more spacers with a new set of forks. It'd definitely be better to not raise the BB height/slacken the headangle on the frame by too much, especially if you can just put some stackers under your stem instead of doing it under the headset.

The steepness of the head angle isn't going to make any difference to how it manuals though, as the reach is going to be the same no matter. It's just the bar height that's the issue, really. On my older Fourplay I actually filed the fork dropouts up a bit and used some little axle-stoppers on my rear dropouts to make the head angle steeper to make it a bit more nimble/lively for more BMXy sort of stuff.

The steepness of the head angle isn't going to make any difference to how it manuals though, as the reach is going to be the same no matter. It's just the bar height that's the issue, really. On my older Fourplay I actually filed the fork dropouts up a bit and used some little axle-stoppers on my rear dropouts to make the head angle steeper to make it a bit more nimble/lively for more BMXy sort of stuff.

i don't think my steerer tube is long enough for a few more spacers so i'll try and find a high riser stem?

If your steerer isn't long enough for more stackers under your stem, then it's not long enough for more stackers under your crown race either as you're basically doing the same thing.

A higher stem would probably be for the best though. System-Ex's 35deg stems would probably be ideal, not too expensive either considering they're really good stems!

EDIT: Just saw your bike photo - that stem's pretty long and low, which are basically the two things you don't want for manuals and bunnyhops. A 90x35 stem would probably be pretty ideal.

If your steerer isn't long enough for more stackers under your stem, then it's not long enough for more stackers under your crown race either as you're basically doing the same thing.

A higher stem would probably be for the best though. System-Ex's 35deg stems would probably be ideal, not too expensive either considering they're really good stems!

EDIT: Just saw your bike photo - that stem's pretty long and low, which are basically the two things you don't want for manuals and bunnyhops. A 90x35 stem would probably be pretty ideal.

what is was meaning was that to lift the bike up like 10mm by putting spacers under the headset and take two spacers out from under the stem so the front wheel is further away from the frame, i was looking at the system ex it looks good, i find it wierd to do bunny hops and manual and i feel like im slouched of the front wheel most of the time.

Edited by Milo123

I kind of did the opposite by putting two grinded down chain tugs on the fork, I'm not sure if it will be strong enough though.

post-25833-0-47844800-1290867207_thumb.j

post-25833-0-96107000-1290867218_thumb.j

post-25833-0-14289900-1290867229_thumb.j

A lightbulb has just appeared over my head Mark...

I have been thinking about this for a few days really, like you could have a fork with adjustable dropouts like the onza rear dropouts with a grub screw to adjust which length you want. I'm gonna grind these down abit more to make them abit more flush with the dropouts.

Edited by Milo123