Rear Wheel Turning "unsmoothly", Turns Back On Spinning Stop

omgnoseat

Hello there,

I've recently replaced the rear bearings of my rear hub since they exploded. I did not have the tools to replace the bearings so my dad took it to his work and put the new ones I ordered from tartybikes in. They are 100% compatible since my hub was listed on the product details page.

The wheel actually functions perfectly. But it comes to a stop a little slower than normal and when it stops it kind of nod's back and fort very slightly. You should see it like this:

- Wheel spins

- Wheel slows done

- Wheel comes to a stop but has a very slight turn in the opposite direction where it was spinning from.

Anyone has any idea what could cause this? It doesn't hinder in performance but i'm afraid it will effect the bearings in the long term.

I can't give any feedback on the process of replacing the bearings since my father did that. I do know that he greased them.

Maybe the bearings need bedding in? Not sure if that is the case with bearings.

Thanks in advance

are the cone tight so it doesn't wobble and have maximum spinning time? could also be a rough side of the inner cone from over tightening previously. either way i would invest in sealed as my open bearing hub knackered pretty quickly.

personal i would ride it till it dies as shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Edited by trials owns

Are you using sealed or open bearings?

to be honest the spinning the other way after stopping is not really a problem it is in fact quite normal, you have a part of your wheel that is its heaviest point, if the wheel is perfectly trued and dished this will be where the valve is (though this is very rare and don't worry if it is not). Once your wheel does not have enough momentum to get through another full rotation the heaviest point will fall back to the lowest point and a sort of pendulum motion will occur as it swings back and forth getting less and less.

Are you using sealed or open bearings?

to be honest the spinning the other way after stopping is not really a problem it is in fact quite normal, you have a part of your wheel that is its heaviest point, if the wheel is perfectly trued and dished this will be where the valve is (though this is very rare and don't worry if it is not). Once your wheel does not have enough momentum to get through another full rotation the heaviest point will fall back to the lowest point and a sort of pendulum motion will occur as it swings back and forth getting less and less.

Woops should have noted this, i'm using sealed bearings so there is no cone.

I know a little rocking is normal, but I can definitly see that the cause has nothing to do with the weight point. The wheel also doesn't spin 100% "freely", seems like something is slowing it down (even if it is very minimal) that also looks to be the cause of the rocking movement.

Thanks voor the replies :)

Sounds a bit more than just grease, it sounds like the bearing have been knocked in too far. They only need to be tapped in very gently, not knocked hard into place. Unless it was repaired by an experienced cycle mechanic then I would bet this is the issue. Most normal mechanics don't appreciate how delicate bike systems are compared to cars and motorbikes etc.

Sounds a bit more than just grease, it sounds like the bearing have been knocked in too far. They only need to be tapped in very gently, not knocked hard into place. Unless it was repaired by an experienced cycle mechanic then I would bet this is the issue. Most normal mechanics don't appreciate how delicate bike systems are compared to cars and motorbikes etc.

That could very well be true, it looks alot like your description.

Will the bearing get loose by itself eventually, or do I have to take measure myself?

could be a ounce of things. It could be your bearings, but it could be your chain also. I know my back wheel doesnt spin anywhere near as freely as it should because of the stiff links i get in my gusset tank chain, but will roll forever when the chains good. :)

when a bearing is driven in it needs to be supported properly.

if the bearing is being tapped/pressed IN to a housing then the OUTER race needs to be tapped/pressed, without touching the inner.

if the bearing is being tapped/pressed ON to a shaft or axle then the INNER race needs to be tapped/pressed, without acting on the outer.

as matt said, it's either a duff bearing, or it's been fitted badly.

if it's any consolation both of my wheels do this, but it doesn't really bother me.

when a bearing is driven in it needs to be supported properly.

if the bearing is being tapped/pressed IN to a housing then the OUTER race needs to be tapped/pressed, without touching the inner.

if the bearing is being tapped/pressed ON to a shaft or axle then the INNER race needs to be tapped/pressed, without acting on the outer.

as matt said, it's either a duff bearing, or it's been fitted badly.

if it's any consolation both of my wheels do this, but it doesn't really bother me.

That actually is a consolation :P

I thought of something else that could be the problem:

I'm running washers because my chainstays were being pushed inward to far. The washers are actually tinyer in radius that the bearings, so it could be that they are applying force on them. I will try to replace the washers and report here if that was the problem :)