Hope Trials Brake Lever.

Laurence--Trials

My hope trials brake lever has been leaking from the reservoir cap though the hole thats drilled in there (see picture in this link) it isn't very good but you can best see it on the black cap.

To stop it i've put tape around the reservoir cap, but obv i don't want to bodge it.

First of all why is the hole in there.

any ideas how to stop it?

the brake has felt spongy recently but i have also bent the disc rotor a bit, does it need a bleed, new rotor or both?

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Have you checked that it isn't something silly like the top cap bolts being abit loose?

The hole is a breather hole for the diaphram so that it can move up and down with the fluid level in the reservoir and keep the fluid sealed. Like said, a new diaphram and bleed should do the trick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the break a new diagram(thanks john)and a new bleed.. still leeks out of the little hole.

Considering just covering it with bluetack then wrapping tape round it if i cant find a solution.

EDIT: The bolts are defiantly tight enough, i broke the head off one of the bolts from doing it up too tight (got bigger stronger ones in there now)

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Are you doing the top cap screws up too tight? They only need to be nipped up (twizzling the allen key between your fingers is enough) otherwise the diaphragm gets deformed and leaks. You should never need to tighten them so much so as to snap the head off :blink:

The oil leaking out could just be where you accidentally got oil on top of the diaphragm. Is your brake spongy? Does the lever get progressively further and further into the bar?

It was before i bled it and yes it did but it seemed more like the effect of a bent rotor.

Bent rotors can make them feel spongy as the pads arn't contacting at the same time and one pad has to bend the disk straight till the other pad hits.

Ordered a new one this morning :)

Are you doing the top cap screws up too tight? They only need to be nipped up (twizzling the allen key between your fingers is enough) otherwise the diaphragm gets deformed and leaks. You should never need to tighten them so much so as to snap the head off :blink:

Ahh okay ill loosen the bolts a bit, thanks :)

Ahh okay, i didn't know that.

New disc was fitted yesterday its about half bedded in id say and pretty f**king good, its a Shimano Deore Disc Rotoronly £8 at the moment too!!

I think loosening the bolts a little has stopped it but i wasn't really checking it last ride. I shal next time i ride.