Lightening A Pro 2 Rear Hub - Anyone Ever Tried It?

giantwhore

As mentioined in a previous topic, i'm looking to lighten my bike up.

One of the obvious options would be to move from freehub to ffw but i love my Pro 2 and the reliablity it provides. I have a King rear hub which would be another good option, but i just can't trust it in the same way i can the Pro 2. Due to spending so much time researching different parts and options, my crazy brain started thinking the only downside of the Hope unit is the weight, so why not look into way to lighten it up a touch.

First thing which stands out is the rotor mounts on the hubshell. Another thing would possibly be removing some material from the centre of the shell by machining in a couple of 10x20mm holes(rough numbers here). Maybe removing material from the inside of the freehub body??? I'm throwing literally everything that comes into my mind here....

I know quite a few guys on here come from an engineering background and can be very helpful when it comes to stresses etc and realistically identifying safe areas to remove material from parts and frames without losing structural strength.

Worst case scenario, i end up breaking a hubshell....i buy a new one, problem fixed.

This may be a great idea. It may also be the worst and most stupid idea i've ever come up with.

Anyone fancy throwing in their opinions?

I'll listen to anything.

I figure either way it might be quite an interesting topic.

Cheers guys

Chris

i was thinking of an ali freehub but the trials ones only come in steel so youd lose half your engagements, like i said you can shed more weight miles easier in other places safely

The alu ones for normal Pro 2 hubs don't fit, you'd have to get one made. But yeah you are right, its cheaper and easier to save weight from other components. Although it would be cool to have all the mods I mentioned and get the hub closer to 300g

Most of the weight is in the high number of bearings (the hub shell ones are large too) required for a freehub. The freehub body is pretty hefty too (being steel).

You've probably got over 100g of bearings in the Pro2, whereas a fixed rear hub will only be about 40g.

Then you have the huge bolts...

In all honesty I wouldn't bother trying to save weight on the hub, you will notice it a lot more in rotational weight (lighter rim tape, alloy nipples, etc).

If you want to shed static weight then the best way would be front freewheel.

Pro 2 T disc tabs are about 1.5g each, so that's 12-15g ish you could save (that's including smoothing the hub shell off, etc.). Ti bolts will save a fair whack. Other than that, not much you could safely do.

EDIT: Nice 'Shopping skills under that hub in that pic up there.