Carbon Levers, Custom Made.

l33th3tr33

A friend of mine thinks he can make carbon levers etc...

I'm going to have one made for my hope to test it out and whatnot to make sure they're up to scratch before any are sold if it gets that far. and I'll put some pics up too.

I'm sure there would'nt be any problems with making an hs33 lever either.

While he's at it I'll get him to make me some bar mount brakets for the hope, a stem bracket and some snail cams to see what's what.

So... If they're cheap enough would anyone interested?

Unless he's doing it at his workplace on the sly then he's going to be charging a hell of a lot for the low number of units he'll be doing surely?

Nope, he's got all his machines and tools at home.

What would be an expected price (or what you would pay) for one that will hold a normal brass barrel instead of having to buy a different one?

The bracket that holds the bars in the stem, and I don't think carbon would be suitable for a stem, maybe the reason no carbon stems are available for the trials market.

Contrary to popular belief, carbon is infact very strong. Vincent hermance is using some proto Tryall carbon forks on his sky2, & Dmr team rider sam reynolds is using carbon rims on his jump bike, so cant be too shabby....

Nope, he's got all his machines and tools at home.

Can you share the process he's going to be using?

I honestly think he's going to struggle to make any money at the prices people in trials will be prepared to pay. If he's doing it as a learning exercise then fair enough, taking requests is probably a good way to test different shapes etc.

But it's okay for handlebars? :rolleyes:

Fair play, but my reason for saying that was the onza carbon bars are outer carbon construction as opposed to full carbon, and after having a quick look on tarty have realised that the higher range of carbon bars are fully carbon instead. As for stems, I haven't seen a full carbon one released yet so just presumed that companies haven't found a way of making a carbon constructed stem strong enough.

Does anyone have more expierience with carbon? And would anyone have any tips with trying out making a carbon stem?

Carbon 8 finger hs33 lever. For even more leverage.

If you want a longer hs33 lever then just say. I'm sure something could be worked out, maybe get one made for you to be a test pilot...

Can you share the process he's going to be using?

I honestly think he's going to struggle to make any money at the prices people in trials will be prepared to pay. If he's doing it as a learning exercise then fair enough, taking requests is probably a good way to test different shapes etc.

Yeah, it's more a learning experience, using different shapes, sizes etc... He's not doing it to make a quick buck, he just offered to make me up some stuff in exchange for testing (and obviously a bit of cash), so I'll be testing parts out for a while to see if they're any good.

Does anyone have any arguments as to why snail cams wouldn't be suitable in carbon?

Fair play, but my reason for saying that was the onza carbon bars are outer carbon construction as opposed to full carbon, and after having a quick look on tarty have realised that the higher range of carbon bars are fully carbon instead. As for stems, I haven't seen a full carbon one released yet so just presumed that companies haven't found a way of making a carbon constructed stem strong enough.

Does anyone have more expierience with carbon? And would anyone have any tips with trying out making a carbon stem?

If you want a longer hs33 lever then just say. I'm sure something could be worked out, maybe get one made for you to be a test pilot...

Yeah, it's more a learning experience, using different shapes, sizes etc... He's not doing it to make a quick buck, he just offered to make me up some stuff in exchange for testing (and obviously a bit of cash), so I'll be testing parts out for a while to see if they're any good.

Does anyone have any arguments as to why snail cams wouldn't be suitable in carbon?

Id be willing to test any carbon parts :P & look at some FSA & Bontrager XC stuff, they seem to be doing alot of carbon these days. White/Whyte (spelling?) brothers have done a few carbon forks aswell as pace doing them aswell. probably worth a look (Y)

Id be willing to test any carbon parts :P & look at some FSA & Bontrager XC stuff, they seem to be doing alot of carbon these days. White/Whyte (spelling?) brothers have done a few carbon forks aswell as pace doing them aswell. probably worth a look (Y)

Well obviously I can't chuck out loads of test stuff as matey will only be making a few parts to see if they're any good before making more.

But saying that, anyone who rides quite often would be perfect to test parts as I'm not riding at the moment due to building a bike up, only needing a rear wheel! :angry:

'Not suitable for MTB handlebars, because of the different bar diameter'

:( Would love some of them to put on my XC bike.

If the price was right, I would probally buy a 4 finger 2011 HS11/33 lever blade. :)

EDIT: Thats if your mate made them

Edited by Jake Beach

'Not suitable for MTB handlebars, because of the different bar diameter'

:( Would love some of them to put on my XC bike.

If the price was right, I would probally buy a 4 finger 2011 HS11/33 lever blade. :)

EDIT: Thats if your mate made them

From what I recall, you can't replace the levers on new maggies. That or it's a bugger to replace.

The reason there are no stems built for heavy use is that there are a lot of issues with getting the fibres aligned in ways which are strong and durable at the steerer and faceplate ends. Handlebars are becoming more common in all mountain, downhill and trials since a simple tube with a few bends is simple to produce and quality control. Stems are on a whole other level due to the complex geometry around the steerer and faceplate and the requirement for hardware to screw into them.

I'd give stems a miss if I were him, there's not much weight to be saved there anyway.

What sort of moulds is he producing for this? Is he using wet lay up, pre-preg or some sort of infusion?

I imagine they would delaminate at the edges pretty severely if used for snail cams.